[comp.unix.ultrix] tar r stopped working...

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/10/90)

Hm, I don't seem to be able to "tar r" anymore after upgrading from 1.2
to 3.1.  "Archive backspace error".  What gives?  The tar tape I'm trying
to append to was written under 1.2; is there some special compatibility
flag I need to specify, or is tar just broke?  (8200, TU81+).

Paul DuBois
Internet:	dubois@primate.wisc.edu
UUCP:		rhesus!dubois
FAX:		608/263-4031

In article <1432@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
> Hm, I don't seem to be able to "tar r" anymore after upgrading from 1.2
> to 3.1.  "Archive backspace error".  What gives?  The tar tape I'm trying
> to append to was written under 1.2; is there some special compatibility
> flag I need to specify, or is tar just broke?  (8200, TU81+).

There is a patch to the 3.1 MSCP tape driver that is supposed to fix a problem
with the 'ltf -x' command.  It is possible that it actually addresses a more
generic problem that may also showing up with tar and/or other utilities.

Check with the support center and see if you can tease the patch out of
them on a trial basis...