[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix 3.1 corrupts disk during installation

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (01/11/90)

	I'm having a problem installing Ultrix 3.1 on a MVAX II with RD53's.
Everything installs fine. Then I reconfig the kernel for a few extra devices.
I boot up single user -- still everything is fine. However going to multiuser
corrupts the disk (somewhere after savecore is executed in /etc/rc). The
corruption manifests as a complete scrambling of the root disk such that
the disk driver reports requests for completely crazy block numbers.
	Note that Ultrix 3.0 did not have this problem (actually I am trying
to use the same config file for 3.0 and 3.1).
	Any ideas ? Please email. Thanks.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		rna!dan@nyu.edu
				NY, NY 10021		tso@rockefeller.arpa
							tso@rockvax.bitnet

In article <971@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:

> I boot up single user -- still everything is fine. However going to multiuser
> corrupts the disk (somewhere after savecore is executed in /etc/rc). The
> corruption manifests as a complete scrambling of the root disk such that
> the disk driver reports requests for completely crazy block numbers.

Check your partition table for the root device to make sure the swap area
you have in your configuration file doesn't overlap any other partitions
you are using.  Also, make sure that you don't have the first swap patition
defined in the config file listed in /etc/fstab as a swap area.  Finally,
if you have multiple swap areas, make sure that all of them are real and
ready...

If it's nothing obvious like this, it could be a memory problem or perhaps
a botched 3.1 installation...