[comp.unix.ultrix] /usr/new/csh file completion and "stty newcrt"

hastings@hemlock.berkeley.edu (Mark Hastings) (01/12/90)

I've been addicted to csh's file completion feature for some time, so when
we got our DecStation 3100s I was willing to add a little hack to my .cshrc
that ran "stty newcrt."  I've been under the assumption that this was
necessary to get file completion to work properly (SunOS doesn't require
this, but it seems to use a different tty driver).

But recently, I've discovered some programs (notably "rn") that unset
the "ctlecho" parameter (from checking "stty everything").   This causes
file completion to fall back into it's stupid non-crt mode.  Does anyone
have any hints about why this is happening, and how to fix it?

Thanks,

--Mark Hastings           			(415) 642-4611
  hastings@ernie.berkeley.edu			..!ucbvax!ernie!hastings

In article <21127@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> hastings@hemlock.berkeley.edu (Mark Hastings) writes:
> I've been addicted to csh's file completion feature for some time...
>
> But recently, I've discovered some programs (notably "rn") that unset
> the "ctlecho" parameter (from checking "stty everything").   This causes
> file completion to fall back into it's stupid non-crt mode.  Does anyone
> have any hints about why this is happening, and how to fix it?

I've had users notice the same thing, but never correlated it exactly to
rn.  Makes sense though.  Usually they complain about escape echoing literally,
munging their crt display.

First step would be to recompile rn and see if that helps.  Next try the funny
setting using the bourne shell and see if it's actually rn dropping the ball
and not some new/csh foolisness.

If it's something that reading and rewriting tty parameters seems to be
loosing then maybe it's time for an SPR.

cmf@obie.cis.pitt.edu (Carl M. Fongheiser) (01/16/90)

In article <9318@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <21127@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> hastings@hemlock.berkeley.edu (Mark Hastings) writes:
>> I've been addicted to csh's file completion feature for some time...
>>
>> But recently, I've discovered some programs (notably "rn") that unset
>> the "ctlecho" parameter (from checking "stty everything").   This causes
>> file completion to fall back into it's stupid non-crt mode.  Does anyone
>> have any hints about why this is happening, and how to fix it?
>
>I've had users notice the same thing, but never correlated it exactly to
>rn.  Makes sense though.  Usually they complain about escape echoing literally,
>munging their crt display.

My suspicion is that you're running an rn built to use termio to
manipulate terminal characteristics instead of the sgtty style
interface.

You can either apply the latest patches to rn (to patchlevel 43) and
rerun Configure, or you can edit config.h and change the #define
HAVE_TERMIO (or something similar) to an #undef.

>If it's something that reading and rewriting tty parameters seems to be
>loosing then maybe it's time for an SPR.

It only seems to be a problem if you try to do it between line
disciplines, i.e., change the attributes of a BSD-style terminal using
TERMIO or TERMIOS, or change the attributes of a POSIX terminal using
TIOCGETP and TIOCSETP.

				Carl Fongheiser
				cmf@unix.cis.pitt.edu

In article <21622@unix.cis.pitt.edu> cmf@obie.cis.pitt.edu (Carl M. Fongheiser) writes:
.... ( a bit of trimming )

> My suspicion is that you're running an rn built to use termio to
> manipulate terminal characteristics instead of the sgtty style
> interface.
>
> You can either apply the latest patches to rn (to patchlevel 43) and
> rerun Configure, or you can edit config.h and change the #define
> HAVE_TERMIO (or something similar) to an #undef.

:r !grep TERMIO /usr/local/src/rn/config.h
#undef	TERMIO		/* is this a termio system? */

Next theory?  I had to do this by hand ages ago, since Configure
was under some illusion that Ultrix was SysV compatible...

> >If it's something that reading and rewriting tty parameters seems to be
> >loosing then maybe it's time for an SPR.

> It only seems to be a problem if you try to do it between line
> disciplines, i.e., change the attributes of a BSD-style terminal using
> TERMIO or TERMIOS, or change the attributes of a POSIX terminal using
> TIOCGETP and TIOCSETP.

Admittedly, there are a number of possibilities - it could be that binaries
compiled under ultrix x.y will not perserve the bits under 3.x.  It's
probably a matter of isolating cases - which programs do the funny stuff
and why...