[comp.unix.ultrix] Poor NFS Performance

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (01/16/90)

In article <12938@watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
>We've had no success trying to do software development over NFS.  You
>can run applications over NFS, since all they have to do is load over
>the net once; but, the compile/edit/test cycle involves too many file
>accesses.  A compile or "make" can reference dozens of files, and the
>network overhead getting at each file was too much.  We gave it up and
>don't use NFS for much more than moving things from far away to local
>disk where we can work on it.

This sounds like a configuration problem, not an NFS problem. For the
last year I have been doing software development via NFS, first with
a VAXstation 2000 served by a Sun 3/160, and now with a SPARCstation I
served by a 3/160 and a 4/370. The VS2000 is not a fast machine in any
way, shape or form, yet I experienced very few problems with NFS. I have
compiled smail 3.1, TeX, large parts of the 4.3 source tree, etc., with
no difficulty.

Have you adjusted the retry, timeout, and write-size values for your
NFS mounts? Given enough wobbling of these parameters I have been able
to sucessfully use a 3b2 (!!) as an NFS server.
--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
     {alberta,decwrl}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

                     UREP: Peru in disguise?

D. Allen [CGL]) (01/19/90)

In article <1425@atha.AthabascaU.CA> lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>Have you adjusted the retry, timeout, and write-size values for your
>NFS mounts? Given enough wobbling of these parameters I have been able
>to sucessfully use a 3b2 (!!) as an NFS server.

With what performance penalty, compared to running a "make" with the
files available locally?  Running a "make" on our VS3200/3.0 served by
our unloaded VAX8600/BSD4.3 took at least twice as long as running it
with all the files on the VS3200 itself.  Are you saying you can "tweak"
this down to something more reasonable?  Examples?
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada