[comp.unix.ultrix] what are gnodes?

jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) (02/02/90)

We often get the message "out of gnodes" in our news partition
on our Ultrix microvaxen.  I read up on the Unix file system,
and learned the basics of blocks and inodes and such, but uncovered
no reference to "gnodes".

where are these described, and how do I manipulate them to prevent
usenet news from giving us so much grief?
--
Jeffrey W Percival (jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu) (608)262-8686

jeff@artud2.enet.dec.com (Jeff Finkelstein) (02/02/90)

In article <821@larry.sal.wisc.edu> jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>We often get the message "out of gnodes" in our news partition
>on our Ultrix microvaxen.  I read up on the Unix file system,
>and learned the basics of blocks and inodes and such, but uncovered
>no reference to "gnodes".
>
>where are these described, and how do I manipulate them to prevent
>usenet news from giving us so much grief?

The gnode is the in memory data structure that defines the inode
information. It actually contains more information than the inode
itself, particularly relating to the ULTRIX file system. See the
file /usr/include/sys/gnode.h for more information.

Regarding the problem, increase the number of inodes in the filesystem
that you have your news files going to (or decrease the number of
files).

BTW - can you send a description of the filesystem to me for future
reference?

-jeff

Jeff Finkelstein		Internet:   jeff@artud2.enet.dec.com
ULTRIX Support			UUCP:       ...!decuac!artud2!jeff

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (02/02/90)

In article <821@larry.sal.wisc.edu> jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>We often get the message "out of gnodes" in our news partition
>on our Ultrix microvaxen.  I read up on the Unix file system,
>and learned the basics of blocks and inodes and such, but uncovered
>no reference to "gnodes".

Gnodes are DEC's term for generic inodes. Ultrix uses a virtual file
system which manipulates files using these gnodes. This is more or less
the same thing as the virtual file system inodes (vnodes) used in other
UNIX boxes running NFS. Beneath this virtual layer lie filesystem
specific data structures and routines. For a conventional UNIX file
system, these data structures will be inodes. For a VMS file system
or NFS file system, these will be something else.

>where are these described, and how do I manipulate them to prevent
>usenet news from giving us so much grief?

I would guess that 'out of gnodes' is a misleading error message that
means your news partition has run out of inodes. If so, you have two
more rapidly) or rebuild the filesystem with a higher inode density
(check the -i option to newfs).

		Jim

parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) (02/03/90)

Percival) writes:
> >We often get the message "out of gnodes" in our news partition
> >on our Ultrix microvaxen.  I read up on the Unix file system,
> >and learned the basics of blocks and inodes and such, but uncovered
> >no reference to "gnodes".
> >
> >where are these described, and how do I manipulate them to prevent
> >usenet news from giving us so much grief?
>
> The gnode is the in memory data structure that defines the inode
> information. It actually contains more information than the inode
> itself, particularly relating to the ULTRIX file system. See the
> file /usr/include/sys/gnode.h for more information.
>
> Regarding the problem, increase the number of inodes in the filesystem
> that you have your news files going to (or decrease the number of
> files).
>
> BTW - can you send a description of the filesystem to me for future
> reference?
>
> -jeff
>
> --

> Jeff Finkelstein		Internet:   jeff@artud2.enet.dec.com
> ULTRIX Support			UUCP:       ...!decuac!artud2!jeff

The problem may actually be that you're running into the *system* limit
on gnodes, rather than the individual filesystem's inode limit (depends
on where, and under what circumstances the error message is appearing).

To check which it is, do a 'pstat -T'. You'll see something similar to:

waters$ pstat -T
 206/ 590       files
 258/ 432       gnodes
 107/ 276       processes
  39/  37/  76  active/reclaimable/total texts
 142/ 334       00k swap

here, 258 out of a possible 432 in-core gnodes are allocated. If your
allocated number of gnodes is much closer to your maximum than mine is,
you can fix this by rebuilding and installing a kernel with a larger
limit. The easiest way to do this is to increase the 'maxusers' parameter.
I have maxusers set to '32' on all of our systems regardless of what the
license limit is. This, for us, is mandatory else we run out of gnodes
really fast!

Hope this helps!

Ross Parker				parker@mpre.mpr.ca
(604)293-5495				uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker

parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) (02/03/90)

> The problem may actually be that you're running into the *system* limit
> on gnodes, rather than the individual filesystem's inode limit (depends
> on where, and under what circumstances the error message is appearing).

I should probably expand on this...

What I've called here the 'system' limit is implying that you're running
out of in-core gnodes... i.e. you have more open files than the system
can currently handle.

The filesystem limit defines how many files can exist on the disk. Both
limits may need to be adjusted. As the problem is happening in your 'news'
partition, it's quite conceivable that your are running into the hard
filesystem limit and will need to rebuild your disk (ugh!).

For your sake, I hope you're just running out of in-core gnodes. On
our systems at least, popping in a new kernel is a much easier procedure!
BTW - this is the only case that I personally have seen the 'out of gnodes'
message - I seem to recall in the distant past that when a filesystem
ran out of physical inodes, the message was quite different, but then, that
was aeons ago, and the messages have quite likely changed.

Just do a 'df -i' to check your physical inode allocation.

jwp@cupcake.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) (02/04/90)

In article <2049@eric.mpr.ca> parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:
>What I've called here the 'system' limit is implying that you're running
>out of in-core gnodes... i.e. you have more open files than the system
>can currently handle.
>
>The filesystem limit defines how many files can exist on the disk. Both
>limits may need to be adjusted. As the problem is happening in your 'news'
>partition, it's quite conceivable that your are running into the hard
>filesystem limit and will need to rebuild your disk (ugh!).

I've received a number of very helpful replies, of which this is an
example, and my thank-you's didn't all make it through the address
labyrinth...

I looked into the system limits and the filesystem limits, and it
appears my problem is indeed with the filesystem.  News articles tend
to be small, and use up fewer than the average number of blocks.  Hence
they deplete the reserve of inodes disproportionately.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to rebuild my filesystem I go...
--
Jeffrey W Percival (jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu) (608)262-8686