[net.micro] software copying; also: software sentinel

frans@duvel.UUCP (Frans Meulenbroeks) (08/13/85)

In article <264@kitty.UUCP> peter@kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) writes:
>Is this a second system or a replacement system? If it's a replacement then
>you damned well have the right (or should have the right) to use whatever-
>it-is on the new one. If it's a second system then you should get a site
>license.

Oops... my fingers slipped.
I was thinking of a second system when I wrote my article.

Now for today's question:
I saw an ad in PC tech journal and an article in a dutch magazine
concerning the software sentinel from Rainbow Technologies.
This product was announced at the NCC, and has to be plugged into
the parallel port of an (IBM) PC. The software can send out random
queries (sure) to the sentinel, and receive (and verify) the answer (I assume).
Pricing should be between $25 and $75 depending on quantity ordered.

My questions:
Has anyone seen/used this thing?
Has anyone additional information?
From the pictures it looks like that the parallel port still can
be used to attach e.g. a printer. Is that right?
Can I stack a number of sentinels (from different products)?
What about the "Unbreakable protection" they claim in their ad?
How is achieved that the software gives only the right answer
when the sentinel type for my package is inserted, and not the one
for another product?

I know: a lot of questions, little information, but I'm very interested
and California is just far away from home :-)
--
	Frans Meulenbroeks, Philips Microprocessor Development Systems
		   ...!{seismo|philabs|decvax}!mcvax!philmds!frans