[comp.unix.ultrix] Maxtor 8760s on a DecStation 3100

edwards@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (mark edwards) (02/06/90)

We finally got our DecStation 3100 and a Maxtor 8760S hard drive.
Now we are trying to do a remote installation from Vaxstation 3200
and have run into some problems. The remote installation service
recognizes the 8760 as an rz80. It says the rz80 is not supported
for a boot device. Dec has been of little help. Maybe I should have
guessed something was up when I took a look at DEC's version of the
SCSI interface. Lead time for getting the cable is a month. Luckily
our DEC serviceman makes up for some of the headaches in dealing with
the rest of DEC (he loaned us a cable)

We are interested in hearing from other people that use the 8760 and
whether or not they use it as a boot device. How have other people
installed Ultrix on a 8760? Should we be forewarned of any other
problems?

Also if someone has a disktab entry for the rz80 or the 8760 we'd
greatly appreciate a copy.

thanks

mark

--
    edwards@vms.macc.wisc.edu
    UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (02/07/90)

In a recent article edwards@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (mark edwards) wrote:
>We finally got our DecStation 3100 and a Maxtor 8760S hard drive.
[...]
>We are interested in hearing from other people that use the 8760 and
>whether or not they use it as a boot device. How have other people
>installed Ultrix on a 8760? Should we be forewarned of any other
>problems?
We have been running our DECstation 3100 off of a Maxtor 8760S since August
with no major problems.  I did not do the installation myself, someone
else did.  We started with a 100 MB internal (rz23), so he may have loaded a
small system onto that before loading the 8760, I don't know.

>Also if someone has a disktab entry for the rz80 or the 8760 we'd
>greatly appreciate a copy.
>    edwards@vms.macc.wisc.edu

Here is what is now in our /etc/disktab (I can't tell you anything more):

rz80|RZ80|DEC RZ80 Winchester ?:\
        :ty=winchester:ns#57:nt#15:nc#1423:\
        :pa#15884:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
        :pb#66690:bb#4096:fb#1024:\
        :pc#1216665:bc#8192:fc#1024:\
        :pd#220096:bd#8192:fd#1024:\
        :pe#219735:be#8192:fe#1024:\
        :pf#437760:bf#8192:ff#1024:\
        :pg#877591:bg#8192:fg#1024:\
        :ph#256500:bh#8192:fh#1024:

Hope this helps
			++Eric Fielding
eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu

edwards@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (mark edwards) (02/08/90)

In article <9674@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu writes:
>We have been running our DECstation 3100 off of a Maxtor 8760S since August
>with no major problems.  I did not do the installation myself, someone
>else did.  We started with a 100 MB internal (rz23), so he may have loaded a
>small system onto that before loading the 8760, I don't know.
>
>>Also if someone has a disktab entry for the rz80 or the 8760 we'd
>>greatly appreciate a copy.
>>    edwards@vms.macc.wisc.edu
>
>Here is what is now in our /etc/disktab (I can't tell you anything more):
>
>rz80|RZ80|DEC RZ80 Winchester ?:\
>        :ty=winchester:ns#57:nt#15:nc#1423:\
>        :pa#15884:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
>        :pb#66690:bb#4096:fb#1024:\
>        :pc#1216665:bc#8192:fc#1024:\
>        :pd#220096:bd#8192:fd#1024:\
>        :pe#219735:be#8192:fe#1024:\
>        :pf#437760:bf#8192:ff#1024:\
>        :pg#877591:bg#8192:fg#1024:\
>        :ph#256500:bh#8192:fh#1024:

First of all thanks for the info. But I'm confused now.

You see in my Maxtor manual it says

sectors per track = 54
tracks per cylinder = 15
number of cylinders = 1632

On a Next I found the following (the NeXT uses 1024 byte sectors so
that may explain the 26. But 26 * 2 = 52. Where's the other 2 sectors?)

ns = 26
nt = 15/16
nc = 1626

What gives? Can anyone explain what is going on here? Is the 8760 really
only one drive? Or does Maxtor 3rd party it to several manufacturers
and just put their name on it?

Confused in MadTown
mark
--

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (02/08/90)

In article <3124@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, edwards@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (mark
edwards) writes:

> We are interested in hearing from other people that use the 8760 and
> whether or not they use it as a boot device. How have other people
> installed Ultrix on a 8760? Should we be forewarned of any other
> problems?

I installed one of these monsters for a customer recently
as a system disk.
The Maxtor 8760 looks like an RZ56  in configuration.
Use the following script to install it.  *Do not*  pick the
"Advanced Installation" option at  any point during the installation.
Also, make sure all are devices are made (MAKEDEV), use 'newfs'
and 'mount' to make any new file system, and edit /etc/fstab approriately
to reflect the 'fsck' sequence during boot.  I am in a hurry and I can't
write a very detailed note.  Send me mail if you run into any unusual
problems.

*Remember*:  This is a 'free' suggestion - it does not supercede regular
                        support channels available from Digital.

The following is the script:

	Patching the Installation Procedure for RZ56/Maxtor 8760

		Ultrix WS V2.* (RISC)
		Ultrix-32 V3.1 (RISC)

(On TK50 installations, wait for the tape to rewind completely
 before proceeding)

*** STANDALONE ULTRIX ENVIRONMENT***

	(text omitted)

Select one of the following options:

	1) BASIC Installation
	2) ADVANCED Installation
	3) System management

Enter your choice: 3

#ed install.1

13866

244s/$2/RZ55/p

	root_D=RZ55;root_d=$3;root_u=$4

370a

chpt -pb 32768 131072/dev/rrz${root_u}a
chpt -pg 163840 1135334/dev/rrz${root_u}a

.

.
13952

#
#sh .profile

*** STANDALONE ULTRIX ENVIRONMENT ***

	(text omitted)

Select one of the following options:

	1) BASIC Installation
	2) ADVANCED Installation (cannot be supported to RZ56)
	3) System management

Enter your choice: 1

*** SYSTEM DISK SELECTION ***

The installation booklet for your processor explains the following
table of system disk drives. Select one of the devices below to
contain the root file system:

SYSTEM DISK TABLE

Selection   Device   Device   Controller   Controller
	    Name     Number    Name 	    Number

    1	    RZ55        0	SCSI	       0
    2	    RZ23	2	SCSI	       0
    3       UNKNOWN	3	SCSI	       0
- -----------------------------------------------------
			(Note: kernel identifies RZ56 as unknown)

Enter your choice: 3

(As the installation proceeds, note that RZ55 is displayed
 instead of RZ56.)

> Also if someone has a disktab entry for the rz80 or the 8760 we'd
> greatly appreciate a copy.

You may not even need a special disktab.

Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp
Ultrix Resource Center
New York City

Internet: graham@fuel.enet.dec.com
UUCP:     ...!decwrl!fuel.enet.dec.com!graham

"A good plan violently executed now, is better
than a perfect plan next week"

General George Patton.  (****General)

In article <3138@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> edwards@dogie.macc.wisc.edu.UUCP (mark edwards) writes:
> In article <9674@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu writes:
> >We have been running our DECstation 3100 off of a Maxtor 8760S since August
> >with no major problems.  I did not do the installation myself, someone
> >else did.  We started with a 100 MB internal (rz23), so he may have loaded a
> >small system onto that before loading the 8760, I don't know.
> First of all thanks for the info. But I'm confused now.
>
> You see in my Maxtor manual it says
>
> sectors per track = 54
> tracks per cylinder = 15
> number of cylinders = 1632

I think you'll find that the numbers previously quoted are really an RA82 in
disguise.  This isn't a bad way to get things working, but plugging in the
real numbers may give you access to the full capacity of the drive and/or
better performance.

Note that the info in /etc/disktab is only to give newfs half a clue as to
the optimal way to make filesystems on the drive, you may also want to poke
around in /sys/scsi_data.c to make make the values the drive lives with a
bit more appropriate.

Disclaimer: I've haven't mucked yet with SCSI drives, so I only know how the
		traditional hp/SMD stuff works...