[comp.unix.ultrix] traceroute for Ultrix3.1

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (02/07/90)

In article <276@jove.dec.com>, mogul@decwrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) writes:
> In article <6227@cps3xx.UUCP> nanda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Arun Nanda
{manager}) writes:
> >[ problem with timeouts ]
>
> This sounds to me like your TCP datagrams are being sent with a TTL
> (Time to live in the IP header) that is too small....
>
> from decwrl.dec.com to your host cpsvax.cps.msu.edu is 14 hops; you
> can discover this by using the "traceroute" command that is floating
> around in the public domain.

I've been trying to get traceroute running under Ultrix 3.1 to no avail.
I don't have Ultrix source (yet), but do have 4.3BSD source.  My 4.3
machine is in a *very* unstable state (can't even gen a kernel any more)
and is on its way out the door anyway.  I used the 4.3 net code to build
the Ultrix kernel, but the system crashes after running traceroute a couple
of times.  All other network utilities work fine.  Any ideas?
And where are the latest traceroute sources kept?

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey

mogul@decwrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (02/13/90)

In article <4072@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) writes:
>In article <276@jove.dec.com>, mogul@decwrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) writes:
>> from decwrl.dec.com to your host cpsvax.cps.msu.edu is 14 hops; you
>> can discover this by using the "traceroute" command that is floating
>> around in the public domain.
>
>I've been trying to get traceroute running under Ultrix 3.1 to no avail.

My mistake; our Ultrix 3.1 systems have been patched to support traceroute.
This might be "fixed in the next release" but I'm not sure.

-Jeff