[comp.unix.ultrix] UWS 2.2 out yet ??????

evans@testmax.ZK3.DEC.COM (Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A) (01/31/90)

>> Is Ultrix Workstation Software (UWS) 2.2 shipping yet, and by the way,
>> how long after ship is the CD ROM version available?
>>
>> Also, which version of Ultrix will this include?  3.1c?
>
>If I remember the not quite official comments from Usenix, soon...
>
>Also supposedly UWS 2.2 RISC is only an update and doesn't include
>any base kernel/utility stuff.

Actually both the vax and mips kits do not contain a complete base system.
They do however contain some patches to be applied to the 3.1 base. The kit
is designed as an update kit, requiring that 3.1 has been installed prior
to installing the UWS2.2 kit.

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics    (603)893-8481
     Unix/X-window Software Contractor      | 3 Koper Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (02/04/90)

Ritacco) writes:

> >Is Ultrix Workstation Software (UWS) 2.2 shipping yet, and by the way,
> >how long after ship is the CD ROM version available?
>
> Yes, UWS 2.2 started shipped yesterday.
[January 29]
> CD kit available right now.

We received UWS 2.2 yesterday (Feb. 2).  It contains the same base system
changes as the Ultrix V3.1 upgrade, plus new/patched scsi support for the
kernel.  The remainder is all UWS.  It looks like you get Display PostScript,
new (updated) servers, and new clients.

And all the MIT clients have moved to /usr/bin/X11.  I couldn't find anything
in the .scp files to remove the old ones, so you may end up with duplictes
left in /usr/bin.  So much for unsupported subsets. :-(

I probably won't install UWS 2.2 right away; I can live without DPS and don't
have any other big problems with UWS 2.1 that need fixing.

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey

dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) (02/05/90)

In article <2912@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com writes:
>In article <15530003@hpdml93.HP.COM> sritacco@hpdml93.HP.COM (Steve Ritacco) writes:
>Yes, UWS 2.2 started shipped yesterday.  CD kit available right now.
>ULTRIX V3.1 is the base system.  (ULTRIX V3.1c was -- mostly -- just
>the release of ULTRIX that supported the DECsystem 5400.)
>Fred

ASI received UWS 2.2 on Thursday, February 1.  UWS 2.2 contains Ultrix
3.1 and window system version 2.2.

Some notes:
	- Follow the upgrade instructions carefully. It is necessary
	  delete all of the UDW(RISC) or UWS (VAX) subsets prior to
	  installing UWS 2.2.

	- The X11 subset has become unsupported under 2.2 and is now
	  called UDWUNMIT022.  The binaries for this subset have been
	  moved from /usr/bin to /usr/bin/X11.

	- The /usr/lib/X11/system.uwmrc file seems to have some
	  problems which will keep /usr/bin/X11/uwm from starting
	  properly.

Question:
	Has anyone out there experienced problems with shared memory,
	specificially with virtual page corruption.  Under ultrix
	RISC, release 2.0, there were major problems.  Under 2.1, we
	experienced similar problems and they apparently exist under
	2.2 as well.  We have been unable to nail down the problem to
	a specific example, but the same programs execute flawlessly
	under all current VAX ultrix releases.
--
Dan O'Neill	dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM    {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dan
Automated Systems, Inc.  San Diego R&D

evans@testmax.ZK3.DEC.COM (Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A) (02/05/90)

In article <3973@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu
(Steve Dempsey) writes:

> We received UWS 2.2 yesterday (Feb. 2).  It contains the same base system
> changes as the Ultrix V3.1 upgrade, plus new/patched scsi support for the
> kernel.  The remainder is all UWS.  It looks like you get Display PostScript,
> new (updated) servers, and new clients.
>
> And all the MIT clients have moved to /usr/bin/X11.  I couldn't find anything
> in the .scp files to remove the old ones, so you may end up with duplictes
> left in /usr/bin.  So much for unsupported subsets. :-(

I believe that the instructions for installing UWS2.2 tell you to first
delete any UWS2.0 and UWS2.1 subsets, before adding the UWS2.2 subsets.
This will
eliminate the problem of obsolete bits being left around on your system. Try
the following command at single user level to remove the old UWS bits:

yes|setld -d `setld -i|egrep 'U(WS)|(DW).*(install)|(corr)'|awk '{print $1}'`

This will delete all UWS or UDW subsets that were either installed properly
or installed corrupt.

> I probably won't install UWS 2.2 right away; I can live without DPS and don't
> have any other big problems with UWS 2.1 that need fixing.

At the very least you will want the base system patches. Your SCSI and NFS
performance should increase with these patches (at least for the RZ23's).
There are also a number of bugs that have been fixed since UWS2.1 in the
servers as well as in libX11.a, along with some performance enhancements.
You may find it worth your while to upgrade and just not use the DPS extension.
You can indicate that it should not be initialized in the /.Xdefaults by having
a resource line which says "XSessionManager*initializeDPS: False" (default is
True).

chris@winsrf.dco.dec.com (Chris Cordrey) (02/06/90)

In article <3973@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) writes:

> We received UWS 2.2 yesterday (Feb. 2).

> And all the MIT clients have moved to /usr/bin/X11.  I couldn't find anything
> in the .scp files to remove the old ones, so you may end up with duplictes
> left in /usr/bin.  So much for unsupported subsets. :-(

For those that will be installing this.  Please RTM because the
installation guide asks you to delete old UWS subsets (which will wipe out
the old /usr/bin/*X11clients) among other things.  It is an update installation
but you *should not* just stick in the tape and utter 'setld -l tapename'.

If you dont RTM and do just go for it with the setld you will very likely
run out of filesystem space and your installation will get messy.

Hope this saves some hassles...

-Chris

mellon@zayante.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (02/08/90)

>And all the MIT clients have moved to /usr/bin/X11.  I couldn't find anything
>in the .scp files to remove the old ones, so you may end up with duplictes
>left in /usr/bin.  So much for unsupported subsets. :-(

I would expect that one would want to do a setld -d on all of the
UDW*021 and UDW*020 subsets (or ULW*02[01] subsets, on a VAX) before
installing the new subsets - I don't believe that UWS2.2 is a patch
for 2.0 and 2.1.   Of course, don't delete the UDT, UDX, ULT or ULX
subsets - those do get patched.

Unofficially yours,

			       _MelloN_

kab@reed.bitnet (Kent Black,L08,640,7754072) (02/14/90)

In article <224@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM> dan@asihub.UUCP (Dan O'Neill) writes:

>ASI received UWS 2.2 on Thursday, February 1.  UWS 2.2 contains Ultrix
>3.1 and window system version 2.2.
>
>Some notes:
>
>	- The X11 subset has become unsupported under 2.2 and is now
>	  called UDWUNMIT022.  The binaries for this subset have been
>	  moved from /usr/bin to /usr/bin/X11.

Further note, installation fails if /usr/bin/X11 exists as a mount
point; bdftopcf and mkfontdir both expect to be linked to files in
/usr/bin.  (tar: cannot link ???: cross-device link)

We had just finished installing X11R4 (good stuff) from MIT the day
the `upgrade' arrived, but it is early in the year so I performed the
upgrade anyway.  Appear to be some problems with .pcf fonts and R4
servers (like, they know nothing about each other).  What fun.

-- kab