[comp.unix.ultrix] DECterm and/or dlogin oddities

terry@sunquest.UUCP (Terry Friedrichsen) (02/14/90)

I noted the following problems in Ultrix 3.0, but I just waited, figuring
they would be solved in 3.1.  But they're still there, so ...

1)  in a DECterm window, try using more(1) to read a document that is
several pages long (10 or so should do).  you will notice that mostly,
the screen gets repainted for the new page, but sometimes, it scrolls
instead (usually abandoning the scroll halfway through and finishing
up in a quick burst).  repainting is fast, but scrolling isn't.  so
why doesn't the software pick a method and stick to it?  anyone know
what is really going on here?

2a)  (this one is somewhat nebulous)  I occasionally use dlogin to go
talk to a VMS VAX to run a particular application.  this application
is such that it requires a password (I'm not talking about a login
password here).  when run from a regular terminal, the password is
not echoed (this is the desired behavior), but from dlogin, the
password IS echoed.  SET HOST from another VAX also does NOT echo
the application-solicited password.

2b)  (also somewhat nebulous)  this application then falls into some
code I wrote (so I know it is correct :-), which sets the terminal
(an RTA device) into NOECHO mode plus a few other odds and ends and
reads and writes the terminal.  this all goes well.  upon exit, my
code restores the old terminal characteristics, including ECHO.  this
works fine for terminals and SET HOST sessions, but dlogin somehow
doesn't get the word that we're back in ECHO mode, and characters are
no longer echoed.

Has anybody else seen either of these problems?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Terry R. Friedrichsen
TERRY@SDSC.EDU  (alternate address; I live and work in Tucson)

"Do, or do not.  There is no 'try'." - Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

In article <1994@sunquest.UUCP> terry@sunquest.UUCP (Terry Friedrichsen) writes:
> I noted the following problems in Ultrix 3.0, but I just waited, figuring
> they would be solved in 3.1.  But they're still there, so ...
>
> 1)  in a DECterm window, try using more(1) to read a document that is
> several pages long (10 or so should do).  you will notice that mostly,
> the screen gets repainted for the new page, but sometimes, it scrolls
> instead (usually abandoning the scroll halfway through and finishing
> up in a quick burst).  repainting is fast, but scrolling isn't.  so
> why doesn't the software pick a method and stick to it?  anyone know
> what is really going on here?

Isn't this a "more" optimization?  Are you really using the Ultrix "more"
or some substitue like "less"?