[comp.unix.ultrix] quotas

jaya@CPSVAX.CPS.MSU.EDU (Jayashree Ramanathan) (11/09/88)

This is with respect to Ultrix-32 v2.2 on a VAX8600.

I am having problems in bringing quota into effect immediately, for a new user, who is assigned to a file system which already has "quotas on". I
assign the quota using "edquota username", but when i do "quota username"
I get "no quotas for this user". I find that when the system is rebooted
the quotas become effective. Can someone suggest a way of bringing it into
effect without a reboot? There should be some way, I am sure.

Thanks,
||| Jayashree

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (11/23/88)

Turn quotas off, run quotacheck, turn quotas back on.

/usr/etc/quotaoff filesystem (or -a)
/usr/etc/quotacheck filesystem
/usr/etc/quotaon filesystem

Fred

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) (12/07/89)

On our machine (8810, Ultrix 3.0) the quota mechanism just stops working
every so often, sometimes every other day, sometimes every other week, it
just seems to stop at arbitrary times. You can imagine the problems this
causes... users go over their quotas while the quota enforcer is dead, and
then when I realize it and turn it back on, they get nailed with no warning.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for any help...

-Mike Marshall      hubcap@clemson.edu

icsu6000@caesar (Jaye Mathisen) (12/08/89)

In article <7366@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) writes:
>On our machine (8810, Ultrix 3.0) the quota mechanism just stops working
>every so often, sometimes every other day, sometimes every other week, it
>just seems to stop at arbitrary times. You can imagine the problems this
>causes... users go over their quotas while the quota enforcer is dead, and
>then when I realize it and turn it back on, they get nailed with no warning.

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with quotas under Ultrix 3.0  We had 4 diskless
nodes off of a server, and with quotas enabled on the server, machines were
dropping like flies.  We sent crash dumps to dec (5 on one TK50 once),
and never saw a result.  Undefined Quotas in the server config file, rebuilt
the kernel, and haven't had a speck of trouble since.

I hope this is fixed in 3.1.

Someday, DEC is going to release a version of Ultrix that's solid.  2.3 was
getting there, then a big hassle to upgrade to 3.x.  Now I hear that 4.0 is
in the works...  will it ever end? :-)
| Jaye Mathisen,systems manager       Internet: icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu|
| 410 Roberts Hall                      BITNET: icsu6000@mtsunix1.bitnet      |
| Dept. of Computer Science	   	UUCP: utah-gr!mts-cs!icsu6000         |

cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) (02/20/90)

I have 3 MicroVaxs running Ultrix 3.0.  I have a large
disk of users files which is mounted from a system that
people don't log on to very often.  I need a quota check program
that will work on remotely mounted file systems.  The
quota checking program that comes with Ultrix does not
appear to handle file systems remotely mounted over the
network.

Does anyone have a quota program that will work with
nfs?

Thanks in Advance
Cathy Accettura
Space Astronomy Lab