[comp.unix.ultrix] NCP in DECnet-Ultrix gives syntax errors

jenst@cernvax.UUCP (Jens Trier Rasmussen) (02/19/90)

When I try to use NCP in DECnet-Ultrix in order to let a object have
another default user account it is impossible, due to the fact that NCP
returns a syntax error (e.g. default user unknow keyword). This also
happens if I let NCP prompt me.

Is there a patch to cure this ?

cheers
	Jens Trier Rasmussen
	jenst@cernvax.cern.ch

michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (02/20/90)

> When I try to use NCP in DECnet-Ultrix in order to let a object have
> another default user account it is impossible, due to the fact that NCP
> returns a syntax error (e.g. default user unknow keyword). This also
> happens if I let NCP prompt me.

	Please be more specific.  What is the exact command syntax

		ncp define object XXX default user YYY

	where YYY is the name of an existant user and XXX is the network
	management name for the object (ie. like fal)?

	If the above was the syntax you used that wouldn't work, please
	specify hardware type (ie, VAX or RISC) and software version
	numbers (ie. V2.2, V3.0, ...).

/--------------------------------------------------------------\
|Jeff Michaud    michaud@decwrl.dec.com  michaud@decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |
\--------------------------------------------------------------/

jenst@cernvax.UUCP (Jens Trier Rasmussen) (02/20/90)

In article <8498@shlump.nac.dec.com> michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) writes:

>> When I try to use NCP in DECnet-Ultrix in order to let a object have
>> another default user account it is impossible, due to the fact that NCP
>> returns a syntax error (e.g. default user unknow keyword). This also
>> happens if I let NCP prompt me.

>	Please be more specific.  What is the exact command syntax

>		ncp define object XXX default user YYY

>	where YYY is the name of an existant user and XXX is the network
>	management name for the object (ie. like fal)?

>	If the above was the syntax you used that wouldn't work, please
>	specify hardware type (ie, VAX or RISC) and software version
>	numbers (ie. V2.2, V3.0, ...).

Sorry about the missing details. I'm trying it on DECnet-Ultrix v3.0 VAX
and DECnet-Ultrix v3.0a RISC. But I think that I have found the reason
why it fails for me. The reason is that I wanted to use a non-existant
user as the default user in order to disallow access to that object and
also in order to be able to allow it quickly again.

cheers jens

PS: What Jeff writes above (the ncp command) does work here as well !