[comp.unix.ultrix] VAX to IBM Telnet software

wallis@wsucsa.uucp (02/16/90)

      Dear Netlanders:

      I have heard about a product called tn3270 (or something like that) that
allows a user on a VAX to make a TELNET connection to an IBM mainframe
(assuming, of course, the IBM speaks TCP/IP).  I have also heard that is allows
full-screen IBM access.  Is this so or not?  Is there a CMU version of this?
It would be very helpful here at Wichita State if we had this.  We run
CMU TCP 6.4 and VMS 5.2.  Also, any pointers to a similar ULTRIX V3.1 product
would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

                          Tom Wallis

Thomas Wallis                          BITNET: WALLIS@TWSUVAX
System Manager, Computer Science Dept. Internet: wallis@wsuiar.wsu.UKans.EDU
Wichita State University               UUCP: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!wsucsa!wallis
Wichita, Ks.  67208                    Internet: wallis@wsucsa.wsu.UKans.EDU

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect the
views of the Computer Science Department or Wichita State University.

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) (02/21/90)

In article <13536@wsucsa.uucp> wallis@wsucsa.uucp writes:
>      I have heard about a product called tn3270 (or something like that) that
>allows a user on a VAX to make a TELNET connection to an IBM mainframe
>(assuming, of course, the IBM speaks TCP/IP).  I have also heard that is allows
>full-screen IBM access.  Is this so or not?  Is there a CMU version of this?
>It would be very helpful here at Wichita State if we had this.  We run
>CMU TCP 6.4 and VMS 5.2.  Also, any pointers to a similar ULTRIX V3.1 product
>would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

We run a version of the old 3270 emulator, much rehashed to be faster,
better, smaller etc. etc., and have a lot of people using it on our
Ultrix systems (Vax and DECstations). The IBM speaks TCP/IP via an 8232
controller. The software also appears to run on Apollo and Sun.
As for a version on VMS, I have always had it in mind to make a version
by changing the terminal output from the current usage of low-level
termcap routines to a VMS equivalent, but haven't done it yet.
As for TCP 6.4, if I knew what it was ......
--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp