[comp.unix.ultrix] ds3100/uws 2.x xon/xoff LAT problem

dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) (02/25/90)

Background information:

	GNU Emacs 18.51.9
	DECstation 3100
	UWS 2.1 and UWS 2.1 (Ultrix Worksystem Software)

The problem:

	When connecting to a DS3100 from a LAT (local area terminal
	server), xon and xoff are not handled correctly.

	The C-X C-S (save file command) will stop output to the
	terminal until C-Q is pressed.

	This problem does not occur on a DS5400 under Ultrix 3.1-C-0
	Rev 42.

Is there any possible fix for this?  Is it something that will be
fixed under UWS 4.0 for the DS3100?

--
Dan O'Neill	dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM    {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dan
Automated Systems, Inc.  San Diego R&D

In article <229@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM> dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) writes:

> 	When connecting to a DS3100 from a LAT (local area terminal
> 	server), xon and xoff are not handled correctly.
> 	terminal until C-Q is pressed.
>
> 	This problem does not occur on a DS5400 under Ultrix 3.1-C-0
> 	Rev 42.
>
> Is there any possible fix for this?  Is it something that will be

Well the olde LAT problem again...

At this point, I believe there are patches (that work!) for all flavors
of Ultrix.  Hopefully, since the changes are sticky and will stay in all
future releases.

1) You can call the Colorado support center seeking LAT patches.

2) You can install 3.1C as the kernel base for your workstation -
   this isn't advertised but seems to work ok...

todd@unix.ecs.rpi.edu (R. Lindsay Todd) (02/26/90)

In article <229@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM> dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) writes:

>	When connecting to a DS3100 from a LAT (local area terminal
>	server), xon and xoff are not handled correctly.
>
>	The C-X C-S (save file command) will stop output to the
>	terminal until C-Q is pressed.
>
>	This problem does not occur on a DS5400 under Ultrix 3.1-C-0
>	Rev 42.
>
>Is there any possible fix for this?  Is it something that will be
>fixed under UWS 4.0 for the DS3100?

This is also a problem with VAXen running Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.[12].  I called
DEC just a couple weeks ago about this problem; the best they could do was
submit an SPR.  Perhaps there is a patch for RISC machines only?

Oh yes -- the DECperson I talked to (Atlanta CSC) had to submit a QAR for
Ultrix 4.0/RISC, since it was a problem there too; hopefully it will be fixed
before this is released!

A kludgey work-around you might try is to tell the terminal server to disable
flow control on you port, e.g.,
   SET PORT FLOW CONTROL DISABLED
will turn off all flow control for a port on a DECserver 200 until the port is
logged off.

R. Lindsay Todd, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
Internet: todd@narnia.ecs.rpi.edu

In article <J1&##+@rpi.edu> todd@unix.ecs.rpi.edu (R. Lindsay Todd) writes:
> In article <229@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM> dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) writes:
> >
> >	When connecting to a DS3100 from a LAT (local area terminal
> >	server), xon and xoff are not handled correctly.
>
> This is also a problem with VAXen running Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.[12].  I called
> DEC just a couple weeks ago about this problem; the best they could do was
> submit an SPR.  Perhaps there is a patch for RISC machines only?
>
> Oh yes -- the DECperson I talked to (Atlanta CSC) had to submit a QAR for
> Ultrix 4.0/RISC, since it was a problem there too; hopefully it will be fixed
> before this is released!

It may be that the patch hasn't reached official status yet.  In any case,
network problems including LAT, NFS, FTP and so on are really handled out
of Colorado, so call there instead of wasting time with Atlanta...

> flow control on you port, e.g.,
>    SET PORT FLOW CONTROL DISABLED
> will turn off all flow control for a port on a DECserver 200 until the port is
> logged off.

Or setting the port/session to PASSALL should work, but this is something
the software is supposed to be doing for you on a dynamic basis.

thomas@mipsbx.nac.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (02/27/90)

O'Neill) writes:

> >	When connecting to a DS3100 from a LAT (local area terminal
> >	server), xon and xoff are not handled correctly.
> >
> >	The C-X C-S (save file command) will stop output to the
> >	terminal until C-Q is pressed.
> >
> >	This problem does not occur on a DS5400 under Ultrix 3.1-C-0
> >	Rev 42.

You've installed the 3.1C mandatory patches, right?  That has the fix
for flow control (as well as all the other currently-available fixes).

> >Is there any possible fix for this?  Is it something that will be
> >fixed under UWS 4.0 for the DS3100?

It is fixed in V4.0.

> This is also a problem with VAXen running Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.[12].  I called
> DEC just a couple weeks ago about this problem; the best they could do was
> submit an SPR.  Perhaps there is a patch for RISC machines only?

There is a patch available for this problem (and has been for >3 months) for
both RISC and VAX.  Contact your CSC.

> Oh yes -- the DECperson I talked to (Atlanta CSC) had to submit a QAR for
> Ultrix 4.0/RISC, since it was a problem there too; hopefully it will be fixed
> before this is released!

As I said, it is fixed in V4.0.  In V4.0 or with the patches, flow control
is enabled by having ^S/^Q as the start and stop characters and having
IXON set.
If either is false, then the session is in passall mode.  If ICANON,
ISIG, ICRNL,
IUCLC, IGNCR, INLCR are all clear then the port is in pasthru mode otherwise
the session is in normal, interactive mode.

BTW, if you use kermit, compile it in SystemV (make sys3) mode.
Otherwise it will
put the session into passall mode (it disables the stopc and startc characters)
and you won't get reliable transfers.  In System V mode, it will
termio(4) which
will interact with LAT properly.
--
Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@decwrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas