[comp.unix.ultrix] DS3100 and sendmail config.

brook@ut-emx.UUCP (Brook Milligan) (02/24/90)

I am configuring sendmail on a DS3100 (Ultrix v3.1/UWS v2.1).  I can
send mail to another host on the same local network, but cannot
receive mail from that same host nor can I send mail from the DS3100
to myself (or another login) on the DS3100.  When I do so I get the
following message from invoking `mail -v brook <letter'

brook... Connecting to .local...
mail: cannot append to /usr/spool/mail/brook/brook
Mail saved in dead.letter
brook... unknown mailer error 1
Saving message in /usr/users/brook/dead.letter
/usr/users/brook/dead.letter... Sent

To test the address resolution of this case I invoked
`/usr/lib/sendmail -bt' and received the following result:

ADDRESS TEST MODE
Enter <ruleset> <address>
> * brook
rewrite: ruleset  3   input: "brook"
rewrite: ruleset  8   input: "brook"
rewrite: ruleset  8 returns: "brook"
rewrite: ruleset  3 returns: "brook"
rewrite: ruleset  0   input: "brook"
rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: "^V" "local" "^X" "brook"

The only changes I have made to /usr/lib/sendmail.cf are

DDbotany.utexas.edu
FS/etc/hosts %*[0-9.]%s

The /etc/hosts file is

#
# Host Database
#
127.0.0.1 localhost
128.83.173.1	trillium.botany.utexas.edu	trillium
128.83.173.2	mimulus.botany.utexas.edu	mimulus

Is there something else I need to configure?  Why can sendmail not
connect to `local'?

Thanks for your help.
Brook G. Milligan                   Internet:   brook@emx.utexas.edu
Department of Botany                Bitnet:     bohk313@utaivc
University of Texas at Austin       UUCP:       ...!ut-emx!brook
Austin, Texas  78713   U.S.A.       (512) 471-3530

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (02/27/90)

In article <24974@ut-emx.UUCP> brook@ut-emx.UUCP (Brook Milligan) writes:
>following message from invoking `mail -v brook <letter'
>
>brook... Connecting to .local...
>mail: cannot append to /usr/spool/mail/brook/brook

Wierd!  You might start out by doing something like
	ls -ld /usr/spool/mail/brook
to see whether something strange has happened there.  It should look like:
-rw-------  1 brook     105992 Feb 26 21:27 /usr/spool/mail/brook
It should not be a directory, should be owned by you, and you should have
read/write permission.  If it doesn't meet these criteria, try fixing it and
try again.  The more interesting question is why mail is trying to
deliver the mail to /usr/spool/mail/brook/brook.  The `brook/brook' part is not
normal.  I'm afraid that one of the experts out there will have to help you with
that since that's getting far off the beaten path.  Some change to sendmail may
account for what you see.

-stefan
--
---------------------------------------------- MA Bell: (708) 260-5019 ---------
Stefan Brandle                  UUCP: ...!{obdient,uunet!tellab5}!wheaton!stefan

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (02/27/90)

Actually, there is no problem with /usr/spool/mail/brook/brook as long as
brook exists and brook/brook exists and brooks/brooks is writeable by
user brooks.

fred

In article <2934@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com writes:
> Actually, there is no problem with /usr/spool/mail/brook/brook as long as
> brook exists and brook/brook exists and brooks/brooks is writeable by
> user brooks.

Are you sure Fred?  I don't sound right to me.  By default /bin/mail is
going to try to append mail to /usr/spool/mail/user.  There's
some kind of code in the 4.3 binmail source to handle the /u/s/m/user/user
case, but it's ifdef'ed out.  Perhaps some other mail agent likes to work
this way and the person with the problem lost that magic mail agent...