[comp.unix.ultrix] What's the flag for the alias-file pipe to msgs under 3.1/2.1?

For some reason, msgs(6) is unsupported in Ultrix.

For no reason, the manual page doesn't list the proper
flag to use when implementing the msgs alias in /usr/lib/aliases.
Looking on other BSD's, one sees

    msgs: "|/usr/ucb/msgs -s"

But the -s is not documented in the section 6 man-page for msgs.

I _could_ just run through all the unused letters of the alphabet,
but something entirely unsettling tells me there may not be
one for this.

Also, would it be illegal to make /usr/msgs a symbolic link to
/usr/local/msgs?

				--Blair
				  "RTFM until you Throw TFM
				   at TF Wall and yell, 'F!'."

In article <5434@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>Looking on other BSD's, one sees
>
>    msgs: "|/usr/ucb/msgs -s"
>
>But the -s is not documented in the section 6 man-page for msgs.

Okay, for no good reason I typed "msgs -s" on the keyboard and it
works fine.  Even the symbolic link /usr/msgs -> /usr/local/msgs
has no problem.  The problem is in the mailer itself, then.

But all it says in the bounce-message is:

    554 "|/usr/ucb/msgs -s"... unknown mailer error 13

I suspect this means that msgs returned 13.

It's also overwritten the /usr/msgs/bounds file with an empty
one.

Would anyone happen to have a PD msgs, or some Clues?

				--Blair
				  "I'm fresh out."

macphed@herald.usask.ca (Ian MacPhedran,2B13 Eng.,4832) (03/03/90)

From article <5435@buengc.BU.EDU>, by bph@buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton):
> In article <5434@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>>
>> [[paraphrased: msgs is not in the man pages & can /usr/msgs be a link?]]
>>
> Okay, for no good reason I typed "msgs -s" on the keyboard and it
> works fine.  Even the symbolic link /usr/msgs -> /usr/local/msgs
> has no problem.  The problem is in the mailer itself, then.
>
> But all it says in the bounce-message is:
>
>     554 "|/usr/ucb/msgs -s"... unknown mailer error 13
>
> Would anyone happen to have a PD msgs, or some Clues?

I had a similar problem with operating msgs on our semi-diskless
DECStation 2100s. /usr is nfs mounted from a (distant) server who does
not want our messages posted on it. As we were not allowed to write to
the /usr partition, we would receive errors from mail sent to msgs.

What I did was export a directory from one workstation to all the
workstations (including itself) and mounted that directory over
/usr/msgs (even on the exporting workstation). After that, msgs
appeared to work well. (Probably because only a few msgs are ever
posted here - otherwise, we might run into problems similar to
having NFS mounted mail partitions.)

Ian.
Ian MacPhedran, Engineering Computer Centre, University of Saskatchewan.
2B13 Engineering Building, U. of S. Campus, Saskatoon, Sask., CANADA S7N 0W0
macphed@dvinci.USask.CA  macphedran@sask.USask.CA  macphedran@sask.BITNET