[comp.unix.ultrix] Using newcsh with X11R4 xterm

iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (02/21/90)

I just installed X11R4 on my DECstation 3100 (Ultrix 3.1).  I'm using
/usr/new/csh as my shell, and when I type <escape> to do file
completion, the line is messed up.  Instead of backspacing over
the ^[ (escape), I get a couple of blanks and then the rest of the
file name.  Sorta like this:

  % ls fo^[  o.bar

Has anyone seen this and figured out how to fix it?  This only happens
in an xterm window; it works fine if I'm rlogged in from  another
host, for example.

Thanks,

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine

ms@unido.UUCP (Marc R. Sheldon) (03/02/90)

iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
> I just installed X11R4 on my DECstation 3100 (Ultrix 3.1).  I'm using
> /usr/new/csh as my shell, and when I type <escape> to do file
> completion, the line is messed up.  Instead of backspacing over
> the ^[ (escape), I get a couple of blanks and then the rest of the
> file name.  Sorta like this:
>   % ls fo^[  o.bar
> Has anyone seen this and figured out how to fix it?  This only happens
> in an xterm window; it works fine if I'm rlogged in from  another
> host, for example.

We are using a DECsystem 5400 with X11R4 and have encountered exactly
the same problem. I have played around with the stty-settings and
consulted our resident X11-guru but nothinmg helped so far ...
It would be great if somebody a has a fix for this.

Thanks,
Marc.

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (03/03/90)

> > I just installed X11R4 on my DECstation 3100 (Ultrix 3.1).  I'm using
> > /usr/new/csh as my shell, and when I type <escape> to do file
> > completion, the line is messed up.  Instead of backspacing over
> > the ^[ (escape), I get a couple of blanks and then the rest of the
> > file name.  ...

Works for me.  So....

1. Does this do this for dxterm as well?
2. What has started up this xterm?
3. Does everything look okay when you do character erases, etc.?

Sounds like your terminal type is not known or some such funniness.
(I am shooting in the dark here as I cannot duplicate what you are seeing
but wanted you to check some things out.  If you are using the session
manager to start things up, try putting this into .X11Startup:

	stty dec < /dev/console> /dev/console

)  (I did most of my grad work in Lisp, so I am compelled to balance my
parens...)

Fred

ms@unido.UUCP (Marc R. Sheldon) (03/05/90)

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
> 1. Does this do this for dxterm as well?
> 2. What has started up this xterm?
> 3. Does everything look okay when you do character erases, etc.?

Here are the answers to Frederick M. Avolio's questions:
Filenamecompletion works just fine using dxterm. The xterm is
started up via xdm. Oh yes, character erases etc. work just fine.
And the suggested fix with X11Startup doesn't work either.

Any suggestions ??

Marc