[comp.unix.ultrix] Need a recent version of ARC for Ultrix

jharper@carina.unm.edu (Jeff) (03/06/90)

Does someone have sourcecode to a working ARC for Ultrix? I've tried getting
sourcecode for version 5.21 (I think its the most recent) from SIMTEL and
uunet.uu.net to work but have been unsuccessful. Version 5.21 has trouble
opening the .arc file. If someone has gotten version 5.21 or a later version
to successfully run on an Ultrix system, could they please let me know as
to how or where I might obtain workable code? I have FTP access. Thanks
in advance.

				- Jeff

 EMAIL: jharper@carina.unm.edu                |  # /bin/csh
                                              |  if ( -e flame ) then
 "A stitch in time takes up space.."          |  fire_hose > flame
     The Doctor - "Delta and the Bannerman"   |  endif

In article <1856@ariel.unm.edu> jharper@carina.unm.edu (Jeff) writes:

> Does someone have sourcecode to a working ARC for Ultrix? I've tried getting
> sourcecode for version 5.21 (I think its the most recent) from SIMTEL and
> uunet.uu.net to work but have been unsuccessful. Version 5.21 has trouble
> opening the .arc file. If someone has gotten version 5.21 or a later version
> to successfully run on an Ultrix system, could they please let me know as
> to how or where I might obtain workable code? I have FTP access. Thanks
> in advance.

ARC521 from uunet works fine *if* you go thru and remove the "b" option
characters from all the open() calls.  These are PC universe things to
specify "binary" files and are superfluous in the Unix environment.

Presumably PC based compilers either ignore or use these, but they seem
to confuse the RISC stdio routines a bit...