[comp.unix.ultrix] Curses. Elementary problem. Need help.

rouben@math9.math.umbc.edu (Rouben Rostamian) (03/09/90)

I need to turn the visible cursor on and off from within an application
program using the curses screen manager.  I do not know how to do this
and would appreciate any hints and pointers.

Specifics:
    Machine: DECstation 3100 running ULTRIX
    Program: In  C
    Curses : #include <cursesX.h>
    Display: xterm or vt100 terminal

On one of our System V machines the curses package provides
a command curs_set(int arg) which accepts argument values of 0, 1, 2, to
set different visibility levels of the cursor.  ULTRIX curses does not
seem to have an equivalent command.  Or does it?

--
Rouben Rostamian                               Telephone: (301) 455-2458
Department of Mathematics and Statistics       e-mail:

consult@physc1.byu.edu (03/09/90)

I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can turn the cursor off on
a VT100.  The best you can do is switch between a block style and an
underline style cursor (and even then, I'm not sure if you can do
that from software).

Since xterm displays try to emulate VT100s, they probably don't support
turning off the cursor, either.

                                        YYYY   YYYY
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that  YYY   YYY
intelligent life exists elsewhere in the  YYY YYY    Cary Jamison
universe is that none of it has tried to    YYY      BYU CS Dept Sys Prog
contact us." -- Calvin (& Hobbes)           YYY      cary@cs.byu.edu
                                           YYYYY
                                           YYYYY

From: Richard Barry Shrum <eos!shrum@EOS.ARC.NASA.GOV>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.allmusic
Subject: Re: Marx Bros.
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 90 01:15:18 GMT
Sender: Discussions on all forms of Music <ALLMUSIC@AUVM>

In article <ALLMUSIC%90030712395636@AUVM.BITNET> Discussions on all forms of
 Music <ALLMUSIC@AUVM> writes:

>          I think that the Marx Bros. were great musicians! Yes, you heard
>it here, folks! Harpo harps way cool...
>                                              ---Michele---

       Marx Bros. "Live at Budokan" KICKS BUTT!!!

                                        0 ~
                                         @
                                         -

P.S. "Oh Lydia, oh Lydia that encyclopedia
      oh Lydia the taaatood lady..."