[comp.unix.ultrix] {ftp,telnet}d{,.gw}

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (03/09/90)

Ultrix 3.1.

What are /usr/etc/ftpd.gw and /usr/etc/telnetd.gw, and how do they
differ from ftpd and telnetd?

Paul DuBois
Internet:	dubois@primate.wisc.edu
UUCP:		rhesus!dubois
FAX:		608/263-4031

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (03/09/90)

In <1847@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>What are /usr/etc/ftpd.gw and /usr/etc/telnetd.gw, and how do they
>differ from ftpd and telnetd?

They support DECnet gatewaying. I.e. you can do things like:

% telnet name.of.host.running.telnet.gw

Connected to name.of.host.running.telnet.gw

name login: YARBLE::		(YARBLE being a host that runs only decnet)

Screwy Department Vax 8530 VMS 5.0

Username:

or:

% ftp name.of.host.running.ftpd.gw

220 FTP version etc line however it looks
ftp> user YARBLE::username	(yarble still a decnet-only host)
331 Password required for gateway access YARBLE (or somesuch message)
Password:

and so on.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Where is the temple of God? In our heart.

michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (03/09/90)

> What are /usr/etc/ftpd.gw and /usr/etc/telnetd.gw, and how do they
> differ from ftpd and telnetd?

	They are part of the DECnet-Internet Gateway (part of DECnet-ULTRIX).
	They differ from the standard ftpd/telnetd in that they also provide
	support for the Internet to DECnet side of the Gateway.

/--------------------------------------------------------------\
|Jeff Michaud    michaud@decwrl.dec.com  michaud@decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |
\--------------------------------------------------------------/

mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) (03/09/90)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.unix.ultrix: 8-Mar-90 {ftp,telnet}d{,.gw}
Brain in Neutral@primate (197)

> Ultrix 3.1.

> What are /usr/etc/ftpd.gw and /usr/etc/telnetd.gw, and how do they
> differ from ftpd and telnetd?

They are the versions of ftp/telnet that are used in the "Ultrix
connection" -- the decnet/ip gateway software for dec/vax stations.

                            Michael M. Meyer
                      Statistics/Academic Computing
                       Carnegie Mellon University.

michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (03/09/90)

> > What are /usr/etc/ftpd.gw and /usr/etc/telnetd.gw, and how do they
> > differ from ftpd and telnetd?
> They are the versions of ftp/telnet that are used in the "Ultrix
> connection" -- the decnet/ip gateway software for dec/vax stations.

	The "ULTRIX Connection" product is something different.  The
	"ULTRIX Connection" product is the NFS and TCP/IP product that
	runs on VAX/VMS systems.  The DECnet-Internet Gateway runs on
	all ULTRIX systems (not just workstations), and is functionality
	that is bundled in free with DECnet-ULTRIX.

/--------------------------------------------------------------\

In article <1847@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
> Ultrix 3.1.
>
> What are /usr/etc/ftpd.gw and /usr/etc/telnetd.gw, and how do they
> differ from ftpd and telnetd?

These are the versions that come with DECnet/Ultrix and gateway between the
internet protocols and DECnet for ftp and telnet.  See the DECnet/Ultrix
manuals for full information.

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (03/09/90)

(Boy, everyone knew that one, huh?)

Fred