[comp.unix.ultrix] How to change dlogind "Welcome to...."

mcneill@eplrx7.uucp (Keith McNeill) (03/09/90)

Is there a way to change dlogind's Welcome to Ultrix-32 login banner?

or is it time to adb....

Keith

--
    Keith D. McNeill              |    E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co.
    eplrx7!mcneill@uunet.uu.net   |    Engineering Physics Laboratory
--
The UUCP Mailer

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (03/10/90)

In <1990Mar8.205316.22996@eplrx7.uucp> mcneill@eplrx7.uucp (Keith McNeill) writes:

>Is there a way to change dlogind's Welcome to Ultrix-32 login banner?

/etc/gettytab.

e.g.:

Script started on Fri Mar  9 15:30:49 1990
aem has logged on ttyp0.
mthvax% dlogin mthvax

ULTRIX-32 V3.0 (mthvax.cs.miami.edu)

login: ^D
dlogin -- session terminated
mthvax% su
Password: secret_password_here
mthvax.root% ed /etc/gettytab
3780
/ULTRIX-32
ULTRIX-32 V3.0 (%h)\r\n\r\r\n\r:\
s/ULTRIX/Mesmerize/
Mesmerize-32 V3.0 (%h)\r\n\r\r\n\r:\
3783
mthvax.root% dlogin mthvax

Mesmerize-32 V3.0 (mthvax.cs.miami.edu)

login: ^D
dlogin -- session terminated
mthvax.root% ed /etc/gettytab
3783
/Mesmer
Mesmerize-32 V3.0 (%h)\r\n\r\r\n\r:\
s/Mesmerize/Ultrix/
3780
mthvax.root% ^D
mthvax% exit

script done on Fri Mar  9 15:32:28 1990

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
No matter whether th' constitution follows th' flag or not, th' supreme coort

In article <1990Mar8.205316.22996@eplrx7.uucp> mcneill@eplrx7.uucp (Keith McNeill) writes:
> Is there a way to change dlogind's Welcome to Ultrix-32 login banner?
>
> or is it time to adb....

It seems to know about the "default" entry in /etc/gettytab for the login
prompt.  Note that if you change this radically, you may have to improve the
edit script in /etc/rc.local that inserts the ultrix version stuff in the
gettytab entry and /etc/motd.

mm06@gte.com (Michael Murphy) (03/11/90)

I would guess that if you wanted to change the "Welcome to ..." part of
the banner, you'd have to adb the binary:

bunny.gte.com $ strings -o /usr/etc/dlogind | grep -i welcome
  54685 Welcome to Ultrix-32 (%s)

Although in most cases it seems to gouge the herald out from
/etc/gettytab; I'm not sure in when it uses the other form.

I suppose someone should file an SPR, as the security guys think that
it's a bad idea to announce exactly what kind of thing you are to
crackers.  The DDN is removing the "Welcome ..." herald from TACs, I
gather.  It is important to note that except for this one detail, the
TAC was perfect.  Now, with that tiny concession to civility removed,
the TAC *is* perfect.
--
mike murphy  mm06@gte.com {harvard,vaxine}!bunny!mm06
gte labs, waltham, ma

mcneill@eplrx7.uucp (Keith McNeill) (03/12/90)

From article <1990Mar9.203548.7908@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, by aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg):
> In <1990Mar8.205316.22996@eplrx7.uucp> mcneill@eplrx7.uucp (Keith McNeill) writes:
>
>>Is there a way to change dlogind's Welcome to Ultrix-32 login banner?
>
> /etc/gettytab.

The problem was that I was using the :lm: entry in gettytab for displaying
the login message.  Dlogind looks for the :im: entry for the login banner.
If it can't find :im: it displays the "Welcome to..." string in the dlogind
source.

Thanks all!

Keith