[comp.unix.ultrix] fast find on Ultrix

tal@frank.Philips.Com (Tal Barnea) (03/13/90)

On the latest version of Risc Ultrix (UWS 2.2), I noticed the existence of
the /usr/lib/find directory with the updatedb script and the other
two binaries needed to implement fast find. In trying to get the thing
going I found out that:

  1. The script does not execute properly (It does some work and pipes
     it into bigram and into code, which do not like what they are fed).

  2. Even if it did execute properly, find does not really care if the
     find.codes file exist. In other words it seems that the fast
     find option has not been implemented.

Anybody know what the story is? Why was /usr/lib/find created (with
a script that does not work) if find does not use it anyhow?
Or am I missing something? (I could not find any relevant documentation).

Thanks in advance!

  --tal

       Tal Barnea                         tal@philabs.philips.com
       Philips Laboratories                       - or -
       (914) 945-6275                 {uunet|ihnp4|decvax}!philabs!tal

In article <86265@philabs.Philips.Com> tal@frank.Philips.Com (Tal Barnea) writes:
> On the latest version of Risc Ultrix (UWS 2.2), I noticed the existence of
> the /usr/lib/find directory with the updatedb script and the other
> two binaries needed to implement fast find. In trying to get the thing
> going I found out that:
>
> Anybody know what the story is? Why was /usr/lib/find created (with
> a script that does not work) if find does not use it anyhow?
> Or am I missing something? (I could not find any relevant documentation).

Rumor has it that it's just plain broken.  This was reported to DEC at the
Ultrix BOF at Usenix, I don't know if anyone has SPR'd it...

Note that this *is* on a RISC system and the DEC supplied VAX executables
found in /usr/lib/find are of relativly little use in this environment...

# file /usr/lib/find/*
/usr/lib/find/bigram:	VAX demand paged pure executable not stripped
/usr/lib/find/code:	VAX demand paged pure executable not stripped
/usr/lib/find/updatedb:	/bin/csh script