[comp.unix.ultrix] Automatic mail reply

phyllis@bcsaic.UUCP (Phyllis Melvin) (03/16/90)

Is there a way with Ultrix, using sendmail, to get the system
to automatically respond to mail when I'm on vacation?  It
would respond with mail saying something like
"I'm on vacation until June 15" and would send only one such
notice to each sender.  I know that I can write a program to
put in .forward but something builtin would probably be better.

Phyllis
internet: phyllis@atc.boeing.com
uucp:     uw-beaver!bcsaic!phyllis

In article <21705@bcsaic.UUCP> phyllis@bcsaic.UUCP (Phyllis Melvin) writes:

> Is there a way with Ultrix, using sendmail, to get the system
> to automatically respond to mail when I'm on vacation?  It
> would respond with mail saying something like
> "I'm on vacation until June 15" and would send only one such
> notice to each sender.  I know that I can write a program to
> put in .forward but something builtin would probably be better.

There is a program called vacation that does this in conjunction with
sendmail to handle this.  It's available in the mail directory in uunet,
and in the redistributable BSD Tahoe sources.  There are probably serveral
similar programs in the comp.sources archives.