[comp.unix.ultrix] HPIB/IEEE 488

don@edison.UUCP (Don Kossman) (03/16/90)

we need to connect an HP line printer with an HPIB (IEEE 488) interface
to a microvax running ULTRIX 3.1.  We've found a couple of RS232 -> HPIB
converter boxes from companies like Black Box Corp, but these seem to
run > 500$.

this particular printer does not have a serial interface option kit.

we have DEC DHV11's on the microvax.

1) is there a cheap converter out there that someone can recommend?
2) is there an HPIB card for the QBUS at a reasonable price (if we
   have to spend more than 200$, may as well get something that can
   control more than 1 HPIB device (we have two printers).
3) is there an ULTRIX driver or does it emulate a DEC device...

thanks for any leads... may as well follow up to the Ultrix group...

--
------
don kossman, sei information technology, los angeles

don@edison.UUCP (Don Kossman) (03/22/90)

In article <299@edison.UUCP> don@seila.UUCP (that's me) writes:
>we need to connect an HP line printer with an HPIB (IEEE 488) interface
>to a microvax running ULTRIX 3.1.  We've found a couple of RS232 -> HPIB
>converter boxes from companies like Black Box Corp, but these seem to
>run > 500$.
>2) is there an HPIB card for the QBUS at a reasonable price
>3) is there an ULTRIX driver or does it emulate a DEC device...

Thanks to those who've followed up or mailed...

Turns out that DEC makes an HPIB card called the IEQ11-AD, which i can
buy second hand from various sources for (i think) around 1k$.  This
makes sense if we use it for more than a single HPIB device, since,
as noted above, serial->HPIB converter boxes seem to address a single
device and this card will in addition provide a separate DMA path.

Naturally, the only device drivers mentioned in the catalog are for
VMS...  so, repeating question 3 -

has anyone seen an ULTRIX device driver for this beast?  can't find
anything in section 4 of my man pages, and don't want to write one...

--
------

In article <300@edison.UUCP> don@seila.UUCP (me again) writes:
>In article <299@edison.UUCP> don@seila.UUCP (that's me) writes:
>>we need to connect an HP line printer with an HPIB (IEEE 488) interface

>> ... DEC IEQ11-AD

Charles Allen at Purdue (newton.physics.perdue.edu!cca) told me that
National Instruments (1-800-IEEE488) also make a qbus board- i called, it
is $1375 plus $550 for an Ultrix (version 3.x) driver.  They include
source for the driver.  In addition, they make a RS-232->HPIB converter
box which can address multiple HPIB devices, and handles input baud
rates up to 38.4K.  This is $595.

Al Michielsen at Syracuse University (sunrise.acs.syr.edu!amichiel)
says that there are some old (cheap) PDP-11 HPIB cards floating around,
but I've not been able to find them on the west coast.
--
------
don kossman, sei information technology, los angeles
...sun.com!suntzu!seila!don
...uunet!mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov!jplgodo!seila!don

springer@pawpaw.enet.dec.com (Kent Springer) (03/22/90)

There isn't an Ultrix driver for it.

You might want to check out the National Instruments' GPIB11V-2.  ($1495
in the '90 catalog)
There is an Ultrix driver, and it's easy to get up and running.