[comp.unix.ultrix] Using DS3100 as a minicomputer?

sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) (03/12/90)

I posted this query earlier, but am reasonable certain that it
did not make it out to the real world.  My apologies if this
is a repeat...

Has anyone had any experience with using a DECstation 3100
as a replacement for a minicomputer (i.e. with typical
minicomputer use)?  To be specific - we're thinking of replacing
our two student uVAX-II machines with a single 3100 (say with
24MB of memory and 1GB of disk).  I know the DS3100 has the
raw horsepower to more than replace the 2 older machines, but
was wondering if there was a 'performance knee' that would
catch us with, oh say, typical loads of 15-20 students doing
student (undergrad) type things (no window-stuff - they have
vt100 terminals).

I'd be especially grateful for 'hands-on' experiences from
people who have tried this sort of thing...

Thanks!  If there is any interest, I'll post a summary (assuming
I get some response, of course).
--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (03/12/90)

In article <1940@naucse.UUCP> sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with using a DECstation 3100
>as a replacement for a minicomputer (i.e. with typical
>minicomputer use)?  To be specific - we're thinking of replacing
>our two student uVAX-II machines with a single 3100 (say with
>24MB of memory and 1GB of disk).  I know the DS3100 has the
>raw horsepower to more than replace the 2 older machines, but
>was wondering if there was a 'performance knee'...

Here, here.

We have a couple departments that have started using email to hand out the
class lecture notes, receive papers, etc. all electronically.  Professors love
it because class time can now be spent in discussion instead of the prof's
mouth->student's notebook with little discussion stuff.  They are thinking of
perhaps getting their own machine to handle this sort of stuff.  We are also
interested in perhaps using a 3100 to replace some of our older/larger/slower
critters for some business stuff.

-stefan

PS: just got our 5400 and it's humming along, glitches and all. We intend to use
it for our library automation project, but in the meantime it plays a mean game
of rogue (:-).  Can't install DECnet because it's looking for the base 030
stuff and doesn't find it (not under 031!), so I'm going to bug CSC and find
out what the fix is before I try to convince it that we are running 3.0.
--
---------------------------------------------- MA Bell: (708) 260-5019 ---------
Stefan Brandle                  UUCP: ...!{obdient,uunet!tellab5}!wheaton!stefan

neil@uninet.cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) (03/13/90)

In article <1940@naucse.UUCP> sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with using a DECstation 3100
>as a replacement for a minicomputer (i.e. with typical
>minicomputer use)?  To be specific - we're thinking of replacing
>our two student uVAX-II machines with a single 3100 (say with
>24MB of memory and 1GB of disk).

A customer of ours has settled on using Decstation 3100 workstations
as their multiple user system of choice, and is very pleased with
their performance when 15 users are logged on.

--
Neil Gorsuch     INTERNET: neil@uninet.cpd.com      UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100

In article <1929@wheaton.UUCP> stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) writes:
> PS: just got our 5400 and it's humming along, glitches and all. We intend
> to use it for our library automation project, but in the meantime it plays
> a mean game of rogue (:-).

> Can't install DECnet because it's looking for the base 030
> stuff and doesn't find it (not under 031!), so I'm going to bug CSC and find
> out what the fix is before I try to convince it that we are running 3.0.

I think it's in the 3.1C release notes, but what you do is for each thing
installed from the 3.1 tape, you "touch" a file with a .lk extension to fake
out setld and make it do what you want...

If you are installing a lot of additional products, you tend do do this several
times, however you can simply look in the /usr/etc/subsets/DNP*.ctrl files to
see what prerequisites are listed and just create .lk files for each of those.

-rw-r--r--  1 root            0 Jan 23 10:02 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTACCT030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root            0 Jan 23 10:02 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTAFM030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root           21 Jan 23 20:02 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTBASE030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root            0 Jan 23 10:02 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTBIN030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root           13 Jan 23 20:02 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTCOMM030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root           10 Jan 23 10:40 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTDCMT030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root            0 Jan 23 10:02 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTEXER030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root           10 Jan 23 11:25 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTINET030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root            0 Mar  4 18:14 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTMAN030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root            0 Jan 23 10:02 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTMOP030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root            0 Jan 23 10:02 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTNFS030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root           11 Feb 12 03:12 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTPGMR030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root            0 Jan 23 10:02 /usr/etc/subsets/UDTUMAIL030.lk
-rw-r--r--  1 root           11 Jan 24 00:59 /usr/etc/subsets/ULTMOP030.lk

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (03/22/90)

In article <10128@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1929@wheaton.UUCP> stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) writes:
>> Can't install DECnet because it's looking for the base 030
>> stuff and doesn't find it (not under 031!), so I'm going to bug CSC and find
>If you are installing a lot of additional products, you tend do do this several
>times, however you can simply look in the /usr/etc/subsets/DNP*.ctrl files to
>see what prerequisites are listed and just create .lk files for each of those.

Yep, I fixed that backaways.  I couldn't think of any problems with faking
having that software set installed, but wan't sure.  A very harried-sounding
person at CSC did tell me that it was okay to go ahead, so I did.

I'll have to peek at the release notes again.  This being my 6th Ultrix
machine, I may have zipped though the info too quickly.

As gossip goes, I'm told that there are two other schools trying to bring up
library systems (DYNIX) under pick (Universe from VMark) on DECstations/systems.
It looks promising and is a lot cheeper than the $0.5M+ that library hardware
normally goes for.

-stefan