[comp.unix.ultrix] Server memory leaks in UWS 2.2 server

joel@decwrl.dec.com (Joel McCormack) (03/22/90)

A brief status report:

The known memory leak caused by a misunderstanding between DEC and Adobe
has been fixed.

Todd Newman noticed a memory leak inherited from X11R3, in which copies
to or from backing store did not free up a (usually quite small)
structure it allocated.  This affects the Xmfb and Xcfb servers, but
should not affect color VAX servers.  Unless you do a LOT of copying,
this won't lose much space.  The only time I've noticed it has been
playing a game which used backing store, and as you moved the cursor the
game moved a small window around on top of the backing store window.  I
lost about 8 kbytes per game; normal backing store usage would lose far less.

These are the only leaks we've found so far.  These fixes should be in
the next release of the software.  We're still looking for other leaks.

- Joel McCormack (decwrl!joel, joel@decwrl.dec.com)

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (03/23/90)

I'd like to commend DEC (and in particular, Chris Kent) for their
action regarding these memory. Chris has spent considerable time on
tracing memory leaks in xtex, many of with (embarrasingly) occur in my
code, not the server (that, plus I was using loads-o-backing store and
beating the hell out of DPS contexts). As it stands now, I get display
postscript in xtex to use a fairly small amount of memory.

I used to use a Sun-3/60, and never had such responsive service from
Sun. Go team.

Dirk ``this was an unpaid testimonial'' Grunwald

	     Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu)
						(grunwald@boulder.colorado.edu)

D. Allen [CGL]) (03/23/90)

Does DEC have the technology to post Ultrix source patches when they fix
things like this, in the tradition of MIT patches to each X release?
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (03/24/90)

This is not a memory leak, but since we upgraded our DECstation to UWS 2.2,
I get the error message 'X Window Manager is confused' whenever I start up
DECW$MAIL on our VMS 5.2 VAX client with the UWS 2.2 as a server.  It seems
to still work OK, though it may be slower than before.  We hope to be
upgrading the VAXcluster to VMS 5.3 next week which may fix this, but I thought
Joel and others might want to know...

			++Eric FIelding

evans@testmax.zk3.dec.com (Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A) (03/26/90)

In article <13920@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
(Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes
> Does DEC have the technology to post Ultrix source patches when they fix
> things like this, in the tradition of MIT patches to each X release?

DEC *adds value* (?) to the MIT sources, and therefore the idea of posting the
patches is highly unlikely. Chnaces are you will find the changes for sample
servers in comp.sources.x in the MIT distributed fix files.

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
     Unix/X-window Software Contractor      | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

evans@testmax.zk3.dec.com (Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A) (03/26/90)

In article <9964@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>,
eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) writes:
> This is not a memory leak, but since we upgraded our DECstation to UWS 2.2,
> I get the error message 'X Window Manager is confused' whenever I start up
> DECW$MAIL on our VMS 5.2 VAX client with the UWS 2.2 as a server.  It seems
> to still work OK, though it may be slower than before.  We hope to be
> upgrading the VAXcluster to VMS 5.3 next week which may fix this, but
I thought
> Joel and others might want to know...

You should discover that when you upgrade your VMS system(s) to use version 2
of DECwindows that your problem should go away.

In article <6934@decvax.dec.com> evans@decvax.DEC.COM writes:
>In article <13920@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
>(Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes
>> Does DEC have the technology to post Ultrix source patches when they fix
>> things like this, in the tradition of MIT patches to each X release?
>
>DEC *adds value* (?) to the MIT sources,

Just for pedantry's sake, there's a rather obvious
difference between added value and Value-Added, the
latter being somewhat apocryphal.

				--Blair
				  "Look!  I've just value-added
				   to Usenet!  I'm so glaaaad."