[comp.unix.ultrix] remote dumps started via cron

p539wob@mpirbn.UUCP (Wolfgang Barth) (03/27/90)

Hello world,
we have the following problem:

We've a VAXStation3100 and some DECStations3100 (running under Ultrix V3.1/
UWS2.1) and want to hold a copy of some drive partitions of the VAX on
a DECStation drive. We need this because the SCSI bus of the VAX is
already populated to its limit.

We tried to do this with:
dump 0uf - filesystem | rsh dec "(cd /backup ; restore xf - )"

This resulted in an 'open("/dev/tty"): no such device or address" error.

The same problem exists, if we tried to run dump,restore from a batch
job that is started by cron.

Has anybody experiences with this problem, maybe some solutions ?

Regards,
Wolfgang Barth

p539wob@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de

mamros@cavdog.enet.dec.com (Shawn Mamros) (03/28/90)

In article <692@mpirbn.UUCP>, p539wob@mpirbn.UUCP (Wolfgang Barth) writes:
> We've a VAXStation3100 and some DECStations3100 (running under Ultrix V3.1/
> UWS2.1) and want to hold a copy of some drive partitions of the VAX on
> a DECStation drive. [...]
>
> We tried to do this with:
> dump 0uf - filesystem | rsh dec "(cd /backup ; restore xf - )"

Try running it from the DECstation instead and using rsh on the dump command:
rsh vax dump 0uf - filesystem | (cd /backup ; restore xf - )

I've run dump via rsh before - it works very well.

-Shawn Mamros
mamros@aiag.enet.dec.com or mamros@cavdog.enet.dec.com

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (03/29/90)

In article <9698@shlump.nac.dec.com>, mamros@cavdog.enet.dec.com (Shawn
Mamros) writes:

|> In article <692@mpirbn.UUCP>, p539wob@mpirbn.UUCP (Wolfgang Barth) writes:
|> > We've a VAXStation3100 and some DECStations3100 (running under
Ultrix V3.1/
|> > UWS2.1) and want to hold a copy of some drive partitions of the VAX on
|> > a DECStation drive. [...]
|> >
|> > We tried to do this with:
|> > dump 0uf - filesystem | rsh dec "(cd /backup ; restore xf - )"
|>
|> Try running it from the DECstation instead and using rsh on the dump
command:
|> rsh vax dump 0uf - filesystem | (cd /backup ; restore xf - )
|>
|> I've run dump via rsh before - it works very well.

Or try   dump 0uf - filesystem | rsh -n dec "(cd /backup ; restore xf - )"
                                     ^^
Note the -n for rsh.  rsh will try to read/write from standard input/output
unless you give it the -n.

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

In article <5237@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov I wrote:

|> Or try   dump 0uf - filesystem | rsh -n dec "(cd /backup ; restore xf - )"
|>                                      ^^
|> Note the -n for rsh.  rsh will try to read/write from standard input/output
|> unless you give it the -n.

Sorry about the dyslexia - should be  rsh dec -n ...  (the -n follows the
hostname).