[comp.unix.ultrix] 5800 Upgrade -- Some Oddities in Pricing

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) (04/07/90)

Thanks much for the postings, George.  Being the moderately
proud owner of a 5810, I was most interested in the SMP and
upgrade data.  Some of the number struck me as most odd, tho.
Pulling things apart and putting them together, we get:

>DECsystem 5810 Computer
>
>R3000 processor and R3010 floating point coprocessor w/32 Mbytes
>ECC memory 64 Kbytes instruction cache, 64 Kbytes data cache, 256
>Kbytes second-level data and instruction cache, 560 Mybtes
>internal disk storage, TK70 296-Mbyte streaming tape drive, embedded
>802.3 Ethernet adapter . . .

5820, 5830, 5840 minimal configs are same, just more cpus.

>    o System Prices:
>      - DECsystem 5810 $75,000
>      - DECsystem 5820 $115,000
>      - DECsystem 5830 $140,000
>      - DECsystem 5840 $160,000
>
>    o Upgrade Prices:
>      In-cabinet upgrades . . .
>      - DECsystem 5810 to DECsystem 5820 upgrade -- $50,000
>      - DECsystem 5820 to DECsystem 5830 upgrade -- $50,000
>      - DECsystem 5830 to DECsystem 5840 upgrade -- $50,000

What's wrong with this picture?

It's probably cheaper to buy a second 5810 and cannibalize it than
to buy a second CPU for a 5810.  With the cannibalizing you get

  o  an additional 32MB of ram,
  o  a second disk and tape controller,
  o  a second BI bus,
  o  a second TK70 tape drive,
  o  an additional .5GB of disk.

What to bet those cost more than $25,000?  And you've got an XMI
bus, backplane, and Ultrix licence to sell.  Yeeesh.  Or you could
run 2 5810s, NFS them together, and have better overall reliability.
Gads.

If we ever go to negotionate an upgrade with DEC the negotiations
are gonna be *fun*.

In article <5260@itivax.iti.org> scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
> Thanks much for the postings, George.  Being the moderately
> proud owner of a 5810, I was most interested in the SMP and
> upgrade data.  Some of the number struck me as most odd, tho.
> Pulling things apart and putting them together, we get:
>
> >      - DECsystem 5810 $75,000
> >      - DECsystem 5820 $115,000
> >    o Upgrade Prices:
> >      - DECsystem 5810 to DECsystem 5820 upgrade -- $50,000
> >      - DECsystem 5820 to DECsystem 5830 upgrade -- $50,000

> What's wrong with this picture?
>
> It's probably cheaper to buy a second 5810 and cannibalize it than
> to buy a second CPU for a 5810.  With the cannibalizing you get
>
>   o  an additional 32MB of ram,

Note that the upgrades traditionally do include a processor and 32MB of RAM.
Other than that, it's obvious that the upgrades are priced a bit on the high
side - $50K for what is in incremental $20K in a system configuration reeks.

Buying a 5180, stripping it and letting the carcass go to someone with a
handful of 6210 CPU boards would be kinda fun although a second system would
be nice too.

> If we ever go to negotionate an upgrade with DEC the negotiations
> are gonna be *fun*.

Exactly my sentiments...