[comp.unix.ultrix] Shared Serial Line on a DS3100?

senderow@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Senderowicz) (04/11/90)

I was wondering if anybody succeded setting up a serial line for
outgoing and incoming calls on a DecStation3100 running
Ultrix3.1. I first set the /etc/ttys flag "shared", but the
system doesn't seem to be running "getty". It will only do it if
I set the "on" flag on /etc/ttys, in which case I cannot use it
for outgoing calls ("shared line in use").  Any clues will be
greatly appreciated.

Dan.

In article <35423@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> senderow@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Senderowicz) writes:
> I was wondering if anybody succeded setting up a serial line for
> outgoing and incoming calls on a DecStation3100 running
> Ultrix3.1. I first set the /etc/ttys flag "shared", but the
> system doesn't seem to be running "getty". It will only do it if
> I set the "on" flag on /etc/ttys, in which case I cannot use it
> for outgoing calls ("shared line in use").  Any clues will be
> greatly appreciated.

It may be that the minimalist modem control implemented on the DS3100 can't
support "shared" lines or the driver doesn't support it correctly.   Are
you using an adapter that supports the modem control leads?

If the shared line won't let init start getty or immediatly falls from getty
into login, then this is likely to be the problem.  Also check your syslog
file for any getty/login related messages.