[comp.unix.ultrix] decnet on a 5820

schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) (04/14/90)

Hello! I have just set up our new 5820 (5810 till 4.0 :-( ), and am
having trouble getting DECNET to work. DECNET was a piece of cake on all
the other systems, but it doesn't work on the 5820. It installs ok,
the config file has the DECNET option,  but when I run ncp it shows
no know circuits or lines! I tried to define a circuit called
BNT-0 and it lets me. But then when I do a 'list known circuits' it
shows none!

Has anyone out there had to install DECNET on a 5820 (5810) under
Ultrix 3.1c?

Thanx much,

Roland

--
Roland J. Schemers III                              Systems Programmer
schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ultrix)              Oakland University

In article <727@vela.acs.oakland.edu> schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) writes:
> Hello! I have just set up our new 5820 (5810 till 4.0 :-( ), and am
> having trouble getting DECNET to work. DECNET was a piece of cake on all
> the other systems, but it doesn't work on the 5820. It installs ok,
> the config file has the DECNET option,  but when I run ncp it shows
> no know circuits or lines! I tried to define a circuit called
> BNT-0 and it lets me. But then when I do a 'list known circuits' it
> shows none!

The device is called XNA-0 on the 5800's.  You also have to do a little
trick where you rename /usr/etc/nml.031 to /usr/etc/nml so that it knows
about this device.  This is described somewhere in the fine print in the
Ultrix 3.1C release notes.  There are still some bugs even after this
change, but at least you should be able to get decnet up.

thomas@mipsbx.nac.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (04/14/90)

> Hello! I have just set up our new 5820 (5810 till 4.0 :-( ), and am

> having trouble getting DECNET to work. DECNET was a piece of cake on all
> the other systems, but it doesn't work on the 5820. It installs ok,
> the config file has the DECNET option,  but when I run ncp it shows
> no know circuits or lines! I tried to define a circuit called
> BNT-0 and it lets me. But then when I do a 'list known circuits' it
> shows none!

My guess is that you have DEBNI, not a DEBNA.
Try defining circuit and XNA-0.
--
Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@wrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas