[comp.unix.ultrix] How do I list multiple tar images

dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) (05/04/90)

I have a tape with mutiple tar images placed on it.  I am able to list
the contents of the tape by following these steps:

  tar tvf /dev/nrmt0h		image 1
  mt -f /dev/nrmt0h fsf 1

  tar tvf /dev/nrmt0h 		image 2
  mt -f /dev/nrmt0h fsf 2

  tar tvf /dev/nrmt0h		image 3

Notice that the device is specified 'no rewind', but the 'fsf' option
to mt seems to force the tape back to the begining and then fowards
the number of savesets.  This is really slow when you are dealing with
large images.

Is there a way to list the images sequentially without rewinding the
tape each time?

Thanks.
--
Dan O'Neill	dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM    {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dan
Automated Systems, Inc.	San Diego R&D

In article <264@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM> dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) writes:

> I have a tape with mutiple tar images placed on it.  I am able to list
> the contents of the tape by following these steps:
> Notice that the device is specified 'no rewind', but the 'fsf' option
> to mt seems to force the tape back to the begining and then fowards
> the number of savesets.  This is really slow when you are dealing with
> large images.

Something is confused - you should be able to access the images sequentially
simply by issuing repeated tar commands using the non-rewind device.  You
might check the minor device numbers between the rewind and no-rewind device
to make sure you're getting what you expect.

Also, if you mucking around with TK50's expect a lot of tedious back-and-forth
on the tape, but then I'd expect your fsf's to skip files rather then the
"rewinding" you suggest.