[comp.unix.ultrix] To 4.0 or 3.1, that's the rub

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) (05/02/90)

Sorry for the sad subject line (:-).

We're in the process of getting ourselves a DECsystem 3100 to run a whole bunch
of Informix SQL/4GL stuff on.  Specifically, things like our student accounts,
registrar's transcripts, other important-to-a-college stuff.  I wondering
whether anybody has any words of wisdom about whether to order Ultrix 3.1X (D?)
or to be adventurous and order 4.0.

On the pro-4.0 side, there are all those discussions I've seen where somebody
says "That's fixed in 4.0", the system security stuff sounds nice, and I would
like to get hold of 4.0.  Furthermore, on a busy production system, it's very
hard to find a couple free days when people will let you take the system down
to change operating systems, and if we'll be upgrading to 4.0 eventually, I'd
rather do it now.

On the con side, all of those horrible problems in 3.1 might be irrelevant to
us, and 4.0 may turn out to have some problem of the type that makes front
page news on "Digital Review"/Your Favorite DEC magazine.  I would rather not
get 4.0 and then discover that there are some big problems (especially with
Informix) that are relevant to me.  I've been told to generally let other people
try the hot-off-the-press X.0 releases, and wait until it's been out for a while
or we hit the X.1 release.

Anybody out there who can speak authoritatively, or at least, from experience?
Experience with Informix on 3.1 or 4.0 would be especially helpful.

Thanks,
Stefan Brandle
--
---------------------------------------------- MA Bell: (708) 260-5019 ---------
Stefan Brandle                  UUCP: ...!{obdient,uunet!tellab5}!wheaton!stefan

In article <2021@wheaton.UUCP> stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) writes:
> Sorry for the sad subject line (:-).
>
> We're in the process of getting ourselves a DECsystem 3100 to run a whole
> bunch of Informix SQL/4GL stuff on.  Specifically, things like our student
> accounts, registrar's transcripts, other important-to-a-college stuff.
> I wondering whether anybody has any words of wisdom about whether to order
> Ultrix 3.1X (D?) or to be adventurous and order 4.0.

I guess I suggest getting the recommendations of the Informix people.  DEC
has had problems with recent releases, some major and many minor.  They
are not particularly effective in quickly resolving new problems and
disseminating information to the field.

If you setting a prodcution system, expecially a mixed use one, there is
much wisdom in staying with stable releases and waiting till periods of
your convenience to upgrade.

> Anybody out there who can speak authoritatively, or at least, from experience?
> Experience with Informix on 3.1 or 4.0 would be especially helpful.

Not particularly relevant, but we stick with Ultrix 2.2 for the longest time
and were fairly happy.  Between seduction by new features and then buying a
5810 we're now on the current release bandwagon and I'm developing a serious
antipathy towards DEC's release managemnet and support process...

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (05/06/90)

In article <2021@wheaton.UUCP> stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) writes:
>Sorry for the sad subject line (:-).
>
>We're in the process of getting ourselves a DECsystem 3100 to run a whole bunch
>of Informix SQL/4GL stuff on.  Specifically, things like our student accounts,
>registrar's transcripts, other important-to-a-college stuff.  I wondering
>whether anybody has any words of wisdom about whether to order Ultrix 3.1X (D?)
>or to be adventurous and order 4.0.

As of last month's machines list, we haven't ported to Ultrix 4.0...
you might want to factor the availability of your Informix and other
applications on the 4.0 platform into your decision of when to upgrade.

--
Alan Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.          "We're homeward bound
aland@informix.com  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland   ('tis a damn fine sound!)