[comp.unix.ultrix] DAT/Exabyte tape backup systems

dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) (05/26/90)

We are in great need of an backup system for our network of DEC
systems.  Our primary servers are VAXstation 3600's and DECsystem
5400's all running Ultrix.  With rapidly growing amounts of disk
space, 9-track and TK70's just don't cut it any more.

We were hoping to purchase a 4mm backup system from DEC, but can't
really find out when it will be available.  Things are getting a bit
tight on schedules, so I need a solution today.

In your vast experience, is the a DAT system that works with the
DS5400/DS5000 systems?  Does the Exabyte system work reliably with DEC
equipment?

We don't have a lot of time to spend on piecing together a solution,
so we are willing to pay for a solution that works immediately.  No
funny hardware configurations or special tweaks please.

Hope you can help.  Thanks.

--
Dan O'Neill	dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM    {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dan
Automated Systems, Inc.	San Diego R&D

In article <268@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM> dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) writes:

> In your vast experience, is the a DAT system that works with the
> DS5400/DS5000 systems?  Does the Exabyte system work reliably with DEC
> equipment?

The problem is that there is no "exabyte" or no "DAT" system, rather one exabyte
drive and one DAT drive being packaged by different vendors with a somewhat
larger set of interface boards and casework.

We have an MTI 8MM subsystem shared between a VMS Cluster and a 5810 via HSC
attach.  MTI seems to be the most real and widely used in the HSC attach world
and we're pretty happy with it.  The only thing really lacking is the nice LCD
status display that some of the other vendors offer.  (you can get status
displays on the little drive number display, but I greatly prefer something you
can just glance at to tell what's going on)

> We don't have a lot of time to spend on piecing together a solution,
> so we are willing to pay for a solution that works immediately.  No
> funny hardware configurations or special tweaks please.

Good luck, but it just isn't that simple.  For your 5000 you need one in SCSI
flavor, the 5400 would need Q-bus flavor.  You may have problems finding both
from the same vendor and they may have different emulations or degrees of
Ultrix compatibility.

I'd suggest going thru one of the trade rags and working up a list of the
vendors, then calling each and asking "does it work with Ultrix on a 5400"
then when you order it, make it a condition that it will work on your system
to your satisfaction within n days or you get a complete refund.

Maybe some other 5400 user can cite something that they're using successfully,
which would make the research phase a bit simpler.