[comp.unix.ultrix] twm

macomber@thoreau.nsc.com (Robert Macomber) (05/30/90)

In article <109219@linus.UUCP>, rzahavi@gateway.mitre.org (Ron Zahavi) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can get a version of twm that would run under
> ultrix on the DEC 3100?  A version I got from uunet.uu.net compiled and
> executed, however, I run into problems from time-to-time (such as windows
> leaving behind trash when moved).

We ran into this same problem and I think that it was solved by using
a different X-server.  There appear to be two X-servers for use with
color monitors: /usr/bin/Xcfb2 /usr/bin/Xcfb.  If my memory serves
me correctly, we changed the /etc/ttys file to use Xfcb instead of Xfcb2.

:0 "/usr/bin/login -P /usr/bin/Xprompter -C /usr/bin/dxsession" none on secure w
indow="/usr/bin/Xcfb"

We also modified the DS3100 user's account to bring up twm automatically.  In
his .Xdefaults we added the following line:

sm.windowManagerName: twm

It seems to work okay now.
--
			Robert L. Macomber