[comp.unix.ultrix] Missing "crypt"

hoyt@laura.alf.dec.com (Kurt Hoyt) (05/30/90)

In article <THOMSON.90May29164112@zazen.macc.wisc.edu>, thomson@zazen.macc.wisc.edu (Don Thomson) writes:

> Having just had a need for "crypt" on my Ultrix 3.1 DECstation I've
discovered
> that I've got a man page for the beast but no program.  Man pages, are nice,
> but they're a poor substitute for something that actually runs....   Is this
> intentionally missing from all 3.1 systems or does it live in some software
> subset that I have yet to discover?

Actually, it's on a tape you have yet to discover. From the SPD:

           Data Encryption/Decryption Facilities

           The object code distribution for The ULTRIX Operating System
           includes no forms of encryption or decryption other than one-
           way password encryption and Kerberos encryption algorithm. The
           encryption software is available as an option under a separate
           order number. (Refer to the SOFTWARE OPTIONS section.)

           SOFTWARE OPTIONS

           For VAX Systems:

           VAX Software Licenses for Encryption: QL-0BJA9-BA
           VAX Software Media for Encryption: QA-0BJAA-H*
           VAX Software License/Media for Source Encryption:
             QB-0BJA9-Z*

           For RISC Systems:

           RISC Software Licenses for Encryption:
             QL-VV3A8-BA
           RISC Software Media for Encryption: QA-VV3AA-H*

           *    Denotes variant fields. For additional information on
                available licenses, services and media, refer to the appro-
                priate price book.

           The above information is valid at time of release. Please con-
           tact your local Digital office for the most up-to-date informa-
           tion.

I imagine this is done for export control reasons.

Kurt in Atlanta             "More than 4 billion chickens in America
hoyt@decatl.enet.dec.com     each year do not have a single happy moment
hoyt@laura.alf.dec.com       in their lives." -- PETA News