[comp.unix.ultrix] Undefined: _savucred, installing Ultrix3.1

rcpt@tuegate.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) (06/05/90)

Last Saturday we have upgraded our VAX750 from Ultrix 2.2 to 3.1.
Building the Ultrix 3.1 kernel (without the UWS 2.1 software subsets loaded)
gave the following problem:
	Undefined:
	_savucred
	*** Error code 1

With some grep's we found out that the file `/usr/sys/conf/param.c' has a
declaration for this variable while the file `param.c' in the directory
`/usr/sys/RC3' (RC3 is the name we have choosen for our system) did not. It
seems that `/etc/doconfig' uses the `param.c' file from
`/usr/sys/BINARY.vax'. After we copied `param.c' from `/usr/sys/conf' to
'/usr/sys/RC3', and did a manually make, we got a vmunix!

Can anybody comment on this? At the end of this message I have included the
diff from the two mentioned versions of param.c.

Piet Tutelaers
rcpt@urc.tue.nl
*** ../BINARY.vax/param.c	Wed Oct 19 09:33:47 1988
--- ../conf/param.c	Sat Jun  2 17:39:22 1990
***************
*** 1,6

  #ifndef lint
! static char *sccsid = "@(#)param.c	4.1.1.4	ULTRIX	7/18/88";
  #endif lint

  /************************************************************************

--- 1,6 -----

  #ifndef lint
! static char *sccsid = "@(#)param.c	9.3	ULTRIX	2/27/89";
  #endif lint

  /************************************************************************
***************
*** 5,11

  /************************************************************************
   *									*
!  *			Copyright (c) 1988 by				*
   *		Digital Equipment Corporation, Maynard, MA		*
   *			All rights reserved.				*
   *									*

--- 5,11 -----

  /************************************************************************
   *									*
!  *			Copyright (c) 1988,89 by			*
   *		Digital Equipment Corporation, Maynard, MA		*
   *			All rights reserved.				*
   *									*
***************
*** 34,39
   *
   * Modification History
   *
   *	13-Jun-88 -- chet
   *	added configurable buffer cache support
   *

--- 34,43 -----
   *
   * Modification History
   *
+  *	28-Jan-89 -- amato
+  *	added structure to save cred when swapping out in our own context
+  *	for diskless root window fix. This MUST go away int v3.2.
+  *
   *	13-Jun-88 -- chet
   *	added configurable buffer cache support
   *
***************
*** 111,116

  #define	NPROC (20 + 8 * MAXUSERS)
  int	nproc = NPROC;

  #ifdef INET
  #define	NETSLOP	20			/* for all the lousy servers*/

--- 115,121 -----

  #define	NPROC (20 + 8 * MAXUSERS)
  int	nproc = NPROC;
+ struct ucred *savucred[NPROC];

In article <1774@tuegate.tue.nl> rcpt@tuegate.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) writes:
> Last Saturday we have upgraded our VAX750 from Ultrix 2.2 to 3.1.
> Building the Ultrix 3.1 kernel (without the UWS 2.1 software subsets loaded)
> gave the following problem:
> 	Undefined:
> 	_savucred
> 	*** Error code 1

This sounds like a messed up installtion with some of the old and some
of the new...  Make sure that you start with an empty /sys/YOURSYSTEMNAME
directory so that all the object code comes from the new release.  If this
isn't it than you might want to check with software support.

frank@croton.enet.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (06/11/90)

One way of avoiding this problem is to remove the old
/usr/sys/SYSTEM-NAME directory
(where SYSTEM-NAME is the name of your system in CAPS) and then re-run
doconfig.
... works for me.

Good luck,

					Frank