[comp.unix.ultrix] license restriction: a real pain

jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) (06/15/90)

When I installed a 16-user license on our DEC-3100 (Ultrix 3.1)
with /etc/install_upgrade(?), all goes well, and when the machine
reboots it says "16 user license", but the old 2-user license
is still being enforced..

Since it's the same /upgrade file on all of the DEC-3100s, and
some of them work fine, it's pretty odd.  A few machines cross
mount /usr and perhaps this is breaking things?

Now, before I ftp to uu.uu.net and just drop in the BSD telnetd
and rlogind, and say "to heck" with the whole silly license business,
can someone comment on what's going on with the license code to
cause this to happen?
Jason Heirtzler           (617) 353-2780       jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu
Information Technology    Boston University    ..!bu.edu!bu-pub!jdh

jeff@artud2.cho.dec.com (Jeff Finkelstein) (06/15/90)

In article <58806@bu.edu.bu.edu> jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:
>When I installed a 16-user license on our DEC-3100 (Ultrix 3.1)
>with /etc/install_upgrade(?), all goes well, and when the machine
>reboots it says "16 user license", but the old 2-user license
>is still being enforced..

In your config file for the system(s) in question, did you change the
maxusers parameter to 16?

Jeff Finkelstein		Internet:   jeff@artud2.enet.dec.com
ULTRIX Consultant		Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Digital Equipment Corporation               warped view of reality...
Mt. Laurel, NJ

In article <58806@bu.edu.bu.edu> jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:
> When I installed a 16-user license on our DEC-3100 (Ultrix 3.1)
> with /etc/install_upgrade(?), all goes well, and when the machine
> reboots it says "16 user license", but the old 2-user license
> is still being enforced..

Check that your have "options QUOTA" in your config file - this is neccessary
for the license stuff to work correctly - silly, but true...

It is worth noting that the "maxusers" parameter in the config file has no
direct effect on the user limit, although it should be larger than the max
expected number of users to insure adequate allocations for various system
resources.