[comp.unix.ultrix] SLIP on DECStation 3100...

heldt@ece.wsu.edu (Tim Heldt) (06/04/90)

Has anyone gotten SLIP to run on two DEC Station 3100's via 9600 baud modems?

I have tried DEC's unsupported slattach and BSD 4.3's slattach.  Both of them
do not work.

I have used tip between the systems!

Either post or send e-mail to me directly.

Thanks,

 Tim Heldt         heldt@ece.wsu.edu
 Systems Programmer  Electrical & Computer Engineering
                     Washington State University

meth@ztivax.UUCP (Wilhelm Methfessel) (06/27/90)

In article <12783@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax (George Robbins) writes:
  >In article <3893@milton.acs.washington.edu> heldt@ece.wsu.edu (Tim Heldt) writes:
  >> Has anyone gotten SLIP to run on two DEC Station 3100's via 9600 baud modems?
  >>
  >> I have tried DEC's unsupported slattach and BSD 4.3's slattach.  Both of them
  >> do not work.
  >
  >There was a claim made a while back that the DS3100 console/serial drivers
  >had bugs such that you couldn't run slip successfully.  I dunno if this is
  >so or was just confusion, but it may not be your problem...

We run DEC's unsupported SLIP on a 5810 with ULTRIX 3.1C, which should
be rather similar to ULTRIX on 3100.
It didn't run with the system as delivered. But (thanks to DEC) we got
a new sl-driver, and after rebuilding the kernel SLIP ran o.k..
Note, that the format of the /etc/sliphosts file slightly changed ( host field
added in first place).

--
Wilhelm Methfessel           UUCP:     uunet|mcsun!unido!ztivax!meth
Siemens AG, ZFE IO 2                   meth@ztivax.UUCP