[comp.unix.ultrix] DECnet is *not* needed on Ultrix to download to DS terminal servers

roj@dodads.dco.dec.com (Roger Masse) (06/28/90)

Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
From: roj@dodads.dco.dec.com (Roger Masse)
Subject: Re: DECnet is *not* needed on Ultrix to download to DS terminal
servers
In article <2324@nems.dt.navy.mil>, lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) writes:
> Subject: Re: DECnet is *not* needed on Ultrix to download to DS
terminal servers
> Quite true.
> Under VMS, DECserver terminal servers are loaded using the MOP protocol
> over the ethernet cable. MOP is also used for Local Area VAXclusters.
> That's how it is for my DS 100 and DS 200.

It is true that you don't need DECnet, but you do need the ncp nodes database
to keep the notion of terminal server name, tertiary load file, hardware
address and other stuff...Just don't want anyone to go and delete /usr/var/dnet
:^)

Regards,

	Roger Masse'

	8301 Professional Place		Digital Equipment Corporation
	Landover, Maryland, 20785	Washington ULTRIX Resource Center
	Internet: roj@dco.dec.com	uucp: decvax!decuac!roj

	Disclaimer:  My opinions to not necessarily represent those of DEC.