[comp.unix.ultrix] Dec's QAR system -- help

kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) (07/06/90)

We are a beta test site for some Ultrix software produced by dec.  I
am supposed to be able to use their QAR (Quality Assurance xxxx???)
system by modem, but their system does not recognize my terminal type
(which I don't know either because I am using a fairly basic PC
communications package (PC-TALK) and I don't have the documentation).

Questions:

1) Is there a way to telnet into DEC's QAR system?

2) Is there a way of using dec net to get into the QAR system?

3) Does anybody know of anybody who might know the answers to 1 or 2.
The people at DEC who are in charge of the paper work for this project
are pretty clueless in this regard.

I would like to take this opportunity to FLAME at dec for a very poor
implementation of the QAR system.  I logon to thier machine and it
does not allow me to set my terminal type!!!! It just assumes that if
it cannot figure out what it is, then it must be a LA102(?) (or some
such garbage).  Basically none of the editors work without knowing the
terminal type -- so I cannot even send mail (presuming I knew how to
do that on thier QAR system).  I call up the people who got me
involved in this program and they have no clue!!!

Is the service this bad at all of the big computer manufactures?

-- Peter Kocks
   kocks@jessica.Stanford.EDU

In article <1990Jul6.021436.19659@portia.Stanford.EDU> kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
> We are a beta test site for some Ultrix software produced by dec.  I
> am supposed to be able to use their QAR (Quality Assurance xxxx???)
> system by modem, but their system does not recognize my terminal type
> (which I don't know either because I am using a fairly basic PC
> communications package (PC-TALK) and I don't have the documentation).

Why don't you pick up a half decent terminal emulator like procomm or one
of 13,000 others that will at least respond back to a terminal type query
as "vt102" or something the software should understand?

> 1) Is there a way to telnet into DEC's QAR system?
> 2) Is there a way of using dec net to get into the QAR system?

Probably not that they want anybody to know about...

> I would like to take this opportunity to FLAME at dec for a very poor
> implementation of the QAR system.  I logon to thier machine and it
> does not allow me to set my terminal type!!!!

Obviously, you haven't tried DSIN or the Digital Electronic Store -
you ain't seen nothing yet...  Admittedly, it would be nice if DEC's
software was a little more flexible, but it shouldn't be such a big
deal to find a decent emulator or even (gasp) a DEC compatible terminal
so you can cater to it's whims...  8-)