[comp.unix.ultrix] has anyone seen this ds3100 disease?

A few times a day, the mouse on our DS3100 will freeze, and neither mouse
motion nor buttons do anything.  Changing mice doesn't accomplish anything
except the cursor moves left about 1/2" each time you plug and unplug the
mouse.

Plaing various games with window managers indicates that both the application
and the window systems are still alive, but nothing short of rebooting the
system gets the mouse working again.  On shutting down the window system and
trying to restart, it looks like /dev/mouse is constipated and can't be
reopened.

The software setup is a bit perverse - X is run as a slave display from an
interactive session on another terminal (i.e. no session manager or screen
login).  Changing towards a more traditional setup doesn't seem to have any
effect on the problem (probably a lie 8-).

Ultrix 3.1C0 for the OS
cat -u /dev/xcons &	is used to handle console output (seems to work good)
Xcfb from the UWS 2.2 release
twm from the X11R4 release (have also used dxwm)
application is DECWindows based, supposedly built with UWS 2.2.

Everything seemed to be working reliably up until a few days ago, although
the system wasn't being used intensivly.  The hardware service folks are
going to try swapping sytem boards,  but I'd be intersted if anyone else has
seen similar problems, either hardware or software related...

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (07/05/90)

grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:

>A few times a day, the mouse on our DS3100 will freeze, and neither mouse
>motion nor buttons do anything.  Changing mice doesn't accomplish anything
>except the cursor moves left about 1/2" each time you plug and unplug the
>mouse.

I've had the same problem on a VAX-3500 with a QDSS display system.  Once the
mouse is disconnected from the display, only a reboot will bring it back to
life.  I suspect the integrity of the mouse connection to the cable connector
block or the DB-15 connection at the DS-3100 bulkhead.  Have you changed mice
and then rebooted?  The rule is that you have to reboot after any change.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2987

hbo@sbphy.ucsb.edu (Howard B Owen) (07/06/90)

In article <13049@cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr@cbmvax.commodore.com
(George Robbins) writes:

> A few times a day, the mouse on our DS3100 will freeze, and neither mouse
> motion nor buttons do anything.  Changing mice doesn't accomplish anything
> except the cursor moves left about 1/2" each time you plug and unplug the
> mouse.

  It happens to me each time I reboot my DS3100. I first noticed the
problem after disconnecting the
mouse while the system was running. Calls to DEC service resulted in a
couple of board and mouse swaps,
all to no avail. I finally discovered that remaking /dev/mouse, then
repeatedly killing the
server (Xmfb in my case) brought the mouse back to life.

--
Howard Owen, Computer Systems Manager           internet: hbo@nobbs.ucsb.edu
Physics Computer Services                       BITNET: HBO@VOODOO.BITNET

mellon@fenris.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (07/07/90)

For starters, get 3.1D.   3.1C was never tested against the DECstation
3100, so nobody knows if it should work.   I suspect your problem is
actually a bad mouse, though, or perhaps a flakey part somewhere in
the serial path to the mouse.

				_MelloN_