[comp.unix.ultrix] Ultrix RISC and adb

jeff@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov (Jeffrey Burgan) (07/09/90)

I was just trying to do some kernel debugging on a DS3100 with
beta 4.0 and noticed adb didn't exist. It appears that although
it was included with Ultrix 3.1 for a VAX, it wasn't included
in the doc sets for 3.1. I'm not sure if it was included in 3.1
for RISC. Does anyone know what happened to adb??

Thanks,
Jeff

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (07/09/90)

You can use the provided dbx for kernel debugging.  adb doesn't exist on
ULTRIX (RISC).

Fred

In article <3125@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
> You can use the provided dbx for kernel debugging.  adb doesn't exist on
> ULTRIX (RISC).

Is there some magic incantation to make it understand system dump files like
the -k option for adb?  I was wondering about dbx equvalent of the the
/usr/lib/adb stuff, but I guess much of that level of structural informtion
is contained in the debugging info in the kernel symbol table...

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (07/10/90)

There is a writeup on kernel debugging using dbx under ULTRIX on RISC.  I
will get a copy and either post it (if it is short) or give a pointer to
wher it can be ftp'ed or uucp'ed.

Fred

maj@cl.cam.ac.uk (Martyn Johnson) (07/11/90)

> Is there some magic incantation to make it understand system dump files like
> the -k option for adb?

Yes, it's the -k option!  Not that it's documented, of course...

Martyn Johnson
University of Cambridge Computer Lab