[comp.unix.ultrix] Twm and TCP/IP routing for a DEC VT1000 X terminal

cks@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Siebenmann) (07/07/90)

 We have a just-delivered DEC VT1000 X terminals (ROM rev 1.2, 2M RAM)
here, and we've run into some problems with it. The first is that it
can't seem to reach anything except the network/Ethernet it's on. When
we try and start up a Telnet session, the terminal tells us that IP
address is unreachable; pings and other attempts to talk to it from
the remote machine just disappear (the remote machine talks fine with
other machines on the X-terminal's network). The terminal's IP number
and subnet mask has been entered by hand and it happens with and
without a font path (pointing at an empty file on one of the Sun
servers) set.

 The second problem is that I can't get any window manager running on
a local Sun 3 (4.0.3) to display and keep its menus up on the VT1000.
Twm (R3 and R4) and awm pop up and pop down again a blank menu when
you push the right mouse button, and again when you release it; uwm
manages to paint text in the menu, but doesn't keep it up.

 I've also tried to have the VT1000 get its IP number automatically with
bootp, using a version of bootp I got from an anonymous ftp site
somewhere, since the Suns seem not to have it. It sets the IP address
correctly but fouls up the subnet mask, even if it's been set by hand
before. Has anyone succeeded in doing this? Any pointers to a current
version of the bootp sources?

 Thanks in advance for any information; please note that followups are
set to comp.unix.ultrix, since I usually don't manage to get to
comp.windows.x before articles have expired.

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"

fasteddy@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon) (07/07/90)

In article <1990Jul6.170446.10025@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, cks@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Siebenmann) writes...
: We have a just-delivered DEC VT1000 X terminals (ROM rev 1.2, 2M RAM)
:here, and we've run into some problems with it. The first is that it
:can't seem to reach anything except the network/Ethernet it's on. When
:we try and start up a Telnet session, the terminal tells us that IP
:address is unreachable

Initial versions of the VT1000 did not have the ability to static route, nor
listen to IP routing protocols.  I inquired at the last DECUS and got the
impression that new roms would be shipped (near term) to provide this
functionality.

John "Fast Eddie" McMahon                        FASTEDDY@DFTNIC.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Code 930.4 - Advanced Data Flow Technology Office      SDCDCL::FASTEDDY (SPAN)
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD               (301) 286-2045
             (Soon to be at TGV, Incorporated - MCMAHON@TGV.COM)
Disclaimer:  These are my views.  Although I am a NASA contractor, I do not
             speak for NASA or ST Systems Corporation.  Va guvf tybony ivyyntr
             xabja nf gur argjbex, jr ner nyy cevfbaref... Or frrvat lbh...

gkn@ucsd.Edu (Gerard K. Newman) (07/11/90)

In article <2710@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> fasteddy@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <1990Jul6.170446.10025@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, cks@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Siebenmann) writes...
>: We have a just-delivered DEC VT1000 X terminals (ROM rev 1.2, 2M RAM)
>:here, and we've run into some problems with it. The first is that it
>:can't seem to reach anything except the network/Ethernet it's on. When
>:we try and start up a Telnet session, the terminal tells us that IP
>:address is unreachable
>
>Initial versions of the VT1000 did not have the ability to static route, nor
>listen to IP routing protocols.  I inquired at the last DECUS and got the
>impression that new roms would be shipped (near term) to provide this
>functionality.

The new ROMs sitting in the VT1000 behind me fix many problems, including
the ability to add routes and the byte-sex fix so it will talk X to non-
little-endian machines [yay!]  It still doesn't talk to the line-mode TELNET
server on my CRAY, but I can live with that because I can crank an XTERM
on the CRAY.  It even will talk to a name server.

Will I trade my 3100 for it?  No.

gkn
San Diego Supercomputer Center