[comp.unix.ultrix] Device names, modem/tty and printer lines, VAXStation 2000?

In article <20208@grebyn.com> karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg) writes:
> Anybody know them?  I just got a VS2000 and don't seem to be able to
> find anything in the obvious places.  I need them to put entries in
> /etc/printcap /usr/spool/uucp/L-devices.  Thanks.

Try "cd /dev; MAKEDEV vaxstation2000" for the generic answer.  Looking at
the script, they probably just become tty00, tty01 and so on, depending on
the order of creation.

andy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andy S Poling) (07/09/90)

In article <13046@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <20208@grebyn.com> karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg) writes:
>> Anybody know them?  I just got a VS2000 and don't seem to be able to
>> find anything in the obvious places.  I need them to put entries in
>> /etc/printcap /usr/spool/uucp/L-devices.  Thanks.
>
>Try "cd /dev; MAKEDEV vaxstation2000" for the generic answer.  Looking at
>the script, they probably just become tty00, tty01 and so on, depending on
>the order of creation.

I thought the keyboard and mouse were tty00 and tty01, making the serial
port tty02 (and the printer tty03?).  I could be wrong - it's been a while
since I used either one...

I can't tell (for sure) by looking at my /dev because I use the printer port
for the console device.

-Andy

--
Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group                   Bitnet: ANDY@JHUNIX

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (07/13/90)

I don't know if the number sequence would be the same under Ultrix.

Under VMS, tta3 is the printer port. tta2 is the terminal port.
lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil  lumsdon@dtrc.dt.navy.mil
lumsdon%dtrc.navy.mil@uunet.uu.net
"Wherever you go, there you are" -Buckaroo Bonzai