[comp.unix.ultrix] Has anyone a "real" Ultrix 4.0 yet?

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (07/10/90)

jeff@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov (Jeffrey Burgan) writes:
>I was just trying to do some kernel debugging on a DS3100 with
>beta 4.0 and noticed adb didn't exist...

  Well, I see people with beta-test versions, but i don't see
anything about standard releases, and our salesperson has been
promised it for **some time**.  Is it real, or is it vaporware?

--dave (I have 44 workstations sitting in boxes, see) c-b
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave

evans@decvaxdec.com (Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A) (07/12/90)

Knowbody should (except for us in UEG)... It has not been released from SSB,
yet... Stay tuned.

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Contractor        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

todd@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Todd Bernard) (07/12/90)

In article <132@decvax.decvax.dec.com.UUCP> evans@decvax.DEC.COM writes:
>Knowbody should (except for us in UEG)... It has not been released from SSB,
>yet... Stay tuned.
>
>- Marc

Marc, if it hasn't been released yet why am I sitting here with a Decstation
5000 and 4.0 tapes (these were shipped with the unit)?

We also received a patch tape that's order number AQ-PDBTA-XE, and is
titled ULTRIX/UWS 4.0  prerelease mandatory upgrade. So is this 4.0 or ALPHA ?

We also received the full manual set.

Todd

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (07/12/90)

The DS5000 with the PX was shipped with an early version of Ultrix 4.0;
you have 4.0, since the PX depended on the 4.0 release  This is often
called a "pre-release".

However, final full release of 4.0 was held up pending resolution of a
high priority SMP problem.  As you are on a uni-processor, you'll never see the
problem.

You should expect to see a mandantory patch upgrade to bring your system up to
final 4.0 SDC once the final 4.0 goes into the SDC.
				- Jim

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (07/12/90)

Having just read what I wrote, I said it wrong.

You have "real 4.0", built from the final baselevel of 4.0 (not "an early
version").

You just don't have the SMP related bug fixes, that caused 4.0 to be delayed.
				- Jim

dan@asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) (07/13/90)

In article <12486@yunexus.YorkU.CA> davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) writes:
>  Well, I see people with beta-test versions, but i don't see
>anything about standard releases, and our salesperson has been
>promised it for **some time**.  Is it real, or is it vaporware?

I am not sure if I have the 'real' release of Ultrix, but I received
some 4.0 tapes with a manual set last week.  Here's the version
information:

    ULTRIX V4.0 (Rev. 174) System #3: Fri Jul  6 08:13:54 PDT 1990
    UWS V4.0 (Rev. 164)

Is this field test software, or is it the 'released' 4.0?  I would
really like to know.  Since I received bound manuals, I am under the
impression that this is the official release.  I hope someone can
correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

--
Dan O'Neill                     Cadence Design Systems
dan@autosys.com                 San Diego, CA

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (07/13/90)

The expected FRS (First Revenue Ship) of ULTRIX 4.0 is the first week in
August.
It was submitted to software manufacturing this morning (7/13 -- no
jokes, please :-)).
The hold-up from what was expected to be a month-early ship date was do
to some last
minute critical bug fixes and subsequent testing.

Fred

Not writing officially, but this disclaimer probablyisn't worth the
paper on which it is
written.  Which it is not...