[comp.unix.ultrix] How to use uucp on a VAXstation 3100 via Telebit modem?

D. Allen [CGL]" <idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu> (07/12/90)

Am I correct in my assesment that because the vs3100 has no modem control
signals on its DECconnect plug, uucp can't be taught to "wait for carrier",
and thus uucp will not work?  Running with debugging turned on in the
telebit entry in /etc/acucap, I see that "carrier" is detected immediately
after sending out the telephone number, and hence the following routine that
is looking for the "CONNECT" string fails.  So is uucp useless on a vs3100?
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada

In article <1990Jul12.004749.4579@watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
> Am I correct in my assesment that because the vs3100 has no modem control
> signals on its DECconnect plug, uucp can't be taught to "wait for carrier",
> and thus uucp will not work?  Running with debugging turned on in the
> telebit entry in /etc/acucap, I see that "carrier" is detected immediately
> after sending out the telephone number, and hence the following routine that
> is looking for the "CONNECT" string fails.  So is uucp useless on a vs3100?

Alledgedly, the VAXstation 3100 has no modem control, the DECstation has limited
modem control on one of the ports.   This means that you can't get shared lines
to work - modem has to be dedicated to either incoming or outgoing call and
you'll have to dick with the modemcap stuff to get a sequence that pretty much
ignores carrier and works by timouts/modem status strings.  This may be less
than reliable.

It should be possible to do this, though I've noticed that the :db: option in
the modemcap file seems to break something else - that is with debugging turned
on a modemcap entry fails everytime, but works ok with it turned off.  (this was
with the RISC version).

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (07/13/90)

In article <13165@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
grr> In article <1990Jul12.004749.4579@watcgl.waterloo.edu>
grr> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:

ian> Am I correct in my assesment that because the vs3100 has no modem
ian> control signals on its DECconnect plug, uucp can't be taught to
ian> "wait for carrier", and thus uucp will not work? ... So is uucp
ian> useless on a vs3100?

grr> Alledgedly, the VAXstation 3100 has no modem control, the
grr> DECstation has limited modem control on one of the ports.  This
grr> means that you can't get shared lines to work - modem has to be
grr> dedicated to either incoming or outgoing call and you'll have to
grr> dick with the modemcap stuff to get a sequence that pretty much
grr> ignores carrier and works by timouts/modem status strings.  This
grr> may be less than reliable.

I have connected a T2000 to the VS_SLU (/dev/tty02, standard cable, pins
2,3,6,7,20 straight through). I changed /usr/lib/uucp/addmodems to
accept 9600 baud for a telebit, and used /etc/uucpsetup to configure
this line "shared". No changes to /etc/modecap.

I cannot get tip/cu to work to dial manually, but UUCP works fine.
I'm using this line for both dialin and dialout with only one problem:
the jobs apparently do not get a HANGUP when the carrier drops.
Fortunately uucico times out after a while...

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (07/14/90)

In article <JV.90Jul12231352@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:

johan> I have connected a T2000 to the VS_SLU (/dev/tty02, standard
johan> cable, pins 2,3,6,7,20 straight through). I changed
johan> /usr/lib/uucp/addmodems to accept 9600 baud for a telebit, and
johan> used /etc/uucpsetup to configure this line "shared". No changes
johan> to /etc/modecap.
johan>
johan> I cannot get tip/cu to work to dial manually, but UUCP works
johan> fine.  I'm using this line for both dialin and dialout with
johan> only one problem: the jobs apparently do not get a HANGUP when
johan> the carrier drops.  Fortunately uucico times out after a
johan> while...

I seem to have mistaken about the HANGUP - it works as it should. Jobs
get killed when the carrier drops.

These are the settings I use in the T2000:

E0 F1 M1 Q0 T V1 X1     Version CA4.04 LIB:NDL
S00=001 S01=000 S02=043 S03=013 S04=010 S05=008 S06=010 S07=040 S08=002 S09=006
S10=007 S11=070 S12=050
S41=000 S45=000 S47=004 S48=000 S49=000
S50=000 S51=255 S52=000 S53=002 S54=000 S55=000 S56=017 S57=019 S58=000 S59=000
S60=000 S61=045 S62=003 S63=001 S64=000 S65=000 S66=001 S67=000 S68=255
S90=001 S91=000 S92=000 S95=000
S100=000 S101=000 S104=000
S110=255 S111=255 S112=001
S121=000

Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv
Doesburgweg 7, 2803 PL Gouda, The Netherlands  phone/fax: +31 1820 62911/62500