[comp.unix.ultrix] Retrieving per-process info on DS3100

pjy100@csc.anu.oz (07/13/90)

Can anyone help ????

I wish to obtain information about every process currently on the system
from the two data structures "proc" and "user" (see /usr/include/sys/proc.h
& /usr/include/sys/user.h) from within a "c" program, but I cannot find a
system call that will retrieve this information from the system tables.
How can this be done? (pstat & ps must use the method I require). SunOS
provides the calls "kvm_nextproc" & "kvm_getu" for doing what I need, is there
an equivalent method for Ultrix 3.1 on a DS3100.

Peter Young (systems prog. Mt Stromlo Observatory)

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (07/13/90)

In article <2371.269db532@csc.anu.oz>, pjy100@csc.anu.oz writes:
> Can anyone help ????
>
> I wish to obtain information about every process currently on the system
> from the two data structures "proc" and "user" (see /usr/include/sys/proc.h
> & /usr/include/sys/user.h) from within a "c" program, but I cannot find a
> system call that will retrieve this information from the system tables.
> How can this be done? (pstat & ps must use the method I require). SunOS
> provides the calls "kvm_nextproc" & "kvm_getu" for doing what I need, is there
> an equivalent method for Ultrix 3.1 on a DS3100.

	Pstat, ps, top, monitor, etc all do it basically the
	way; open /dev/kmem, seek to an interesting place and
	read the data.  Getting the proc structure is pretty
	easy.  Getting a copy of the user structure is harder
	because you have to deal with the fact that it might
	swapped out.  I'd suggest looking for a copy of top
	or monitor that you can copy and borrow from them.

	I think monitor can be found on gatekeeper.dec.com.

	If you think having a system call interface to some of
	these data structures would make your life so much easier
	please submit an SPR with the suggestion.  If there is
	sufficient popular interest it might get added someday.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

dob@tws1.Berkeley.EDU (David L. Brooks) (07/15/90)

In article <2371.269db532@csc.anu.oz>, pjy100@csc.anu.oz writes:
|>Can anyone help ????
|>
|>I wish to obtain information about every process currently on the system
|>from the two data structures "proc" and "user" (see /usr/include/sys/proc.h
|>& /usr/include/sys/user.h) from within a "c" program, but I cannot find a
|>system call that will retrieve this information from the system tables.
|>How can this be done? (pstat & ps must use the method I require). SunOS
|>provides the calls "kvm_nextproc" & "kvm_getu" for doing what I need,
is there
|>an equivalent method for Ultrix 3.1 on a DS3100.
|>
|>Peter Young (systems prog. Mt Stromlo Observatory)

if you get some good info, would you consider posting, or sending me a
copy, please?

sorry fellow netters, i tried email to Mr. Young, but it was bounced.

also please excuse the *long* disclaimer.  it originates with our legal
department; at least they now let us post.
David L. Brooks
Idaho National Engineering Lab.  INTERNET: dob@INEL.GOV
POB 1625 M.S. 1206               Phone: (208) 526-0826
Idaho Falls, Id. 83415           FAX:   (208) 526-1419

Neither the United States Government nor the Idaho National
Engineering Laboratory nor any of their employees, makes any warranty,
expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility
for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information,
product, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not
infringe privately owned rights.  Reference herein to any specific
commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark
manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply
its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States
Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory.  The views and
opinions of authors expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect
those of the United States Government nor the Idaho National Engineering
Laboratory, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement
purposes.