[comp.unix.ultrix] umask

cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) (07/18/90)

I am using ultrix 3.1 and NFS on 3 Microvax II's.

I have my umask set up as 02.

If I create a file using touch the machine that has a file
system mounted over the network,  I get  644 as the permission.

If I go over the the nfs server of that partion and I create
a different file using touch I get 664.

Does umask work correctly with nfs?  Is the some other thing
beside umask that will set the permission of the files.

Thanks in Advance
Cathy Accettura
Space Astronomy Lab
University of Wisconsin
608-263-4678
cathy@sal.wisc.edu

In article <1114@larry.sal.wisc.edu> cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) writes:
> I am using ultrix 3.1 and NFS on 3 Microvax II's.
>
> I have my umask set up as 02.
> If I create a file using touch the machine that has a file
> system mounted over the network,  I get  644 as the permission.

Threre was a bug in one of the VAX nfs versions such that NFS was using the
default umask when the nfs deamons were started instead of or in addition
to the user umask.

The fix was to put a umask in the rc file just before the daemons were
spawned.  There may be a patch available that fixes this, check with the
support center.

hoyt@laura.alf.dec.com (Kurt Hoyt) (07/19/90)

In article <13259@cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> In article <1114@larry.sal.wisc.edu> cathy@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Cathy Accettura) writes:

> > I am using ultrix 3.1 and NFS on 3 Microvax II's.
> >
> > I have my umask set up as 02.
> > If I create a file using touch the machine that has a file
> > system mounted over the network,  I get  644 as the permission.
>
> The fix was to put a umask in the rc file just before the daemons were
> spawned.  There may be a patch available that fixes this, check with the
> support center.

Use the workaround above. I didn't find an applicable patch in our set of
3.1 VAX patches.

Kurt in Atlanta             "More than 4 billion chickens in America
hoyt@decatl.enet.dec.com     each year do not have a single happy moment
hoyt@laura.alf.dec.com       in their lives." -- PETA News