[comp.unix.ultrix] kwv-11 driver info

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss) (07/13/90)

I'm considering acquiring a KWV-11 board for a VS3500 system so that I can do
more accurate performance measurements by having a more accurate clock. I have
been unable to locate man pages (or code) for an Ultrix driver for this board,
though such probably exists somewhere. Could someone mail me or tell me where
to find a KWV-11 driver man page, so I can see what the available driver(s)
can do for me? Any advice on third party products or other ways to get
microsecond accuracy time would also be appreciated. Thanks!		Eliot

PS -- I'm also interested in similar info for the DECStation 3100, but suspect
I'm out of luck (it has no bus for attaching a card ...).
--

		J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
		Lederle Graduate Research Center

mogul@wrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (07/21/90)

In article <MOSS.90Jul13095608@ibis.cs.umass.edu> moss@cs.umass.edu writes:
>I'm considering acquiring a KWV-11 board for a VS3500 system so that I can do
>more accurate performance measurements by having a more accurate clock. I have
>been unable to locate man pages (or code) for an Ultrix driver for this board,
>though such probably exists somewhere. Could someone mail me or tell me where
>to find a KWV-11 driver man page, so I can see what the available driver(s)
>can do for me? Any advice on third party products or other ways to get
>microsecond accuracy time would also be appreciated. Thanks!		Eliot
>
>PS -- I'm also interested in similar info for the DECStation 3100, but suspect
>I'm out of luck (it has no bus for attaching a card ...).

I know how to change the kernel sources so that the Pmax (or 3max)
clock ticks faster than 256 Hz; I'm running a Pmax right now at 4096 Hz
without much grief (except that NTP doesn't work right any more),
and it might work at 8192 Hz.  This requires sources to a few kernel
modules; if you don't have a source license, I might be able to supply
binaries for a few specific clock rates (power-of-two rates between
2 Hz and 8192 Hz are possible).

If there's enough interest, I'll post details.

Mind you: this is certainly not supported in any way.  If your modified
system crashes and burns and sets your building on fire and kills
thousands of innocent bystanders, it's your problem, not mine.
And I certainly don't recommend doing it except when doing high-resolution
performance measurements.

-Jeff