[comp.unix.ultrix] Problem with direct connection using modems

john@beaudin.UUCP (John Beaudin) (07/22/90)

My 2 nodes are connected with a dedicated phone line - when the modem
goes offhook, ringing occurs, no number necessary. The setup string sent
to the modem therefore is 'atd'.

Is this kind of connection supposed to be 2-way? DEC customer support
says only outgoing is possible.

I thought (fuzzy memory) I had a 2-way connection in the past. Currently,
I've only succeeded in establishing an outgoing connection.

Any experience out there?
--
My .signature is awaiting apropriate display technology

In article <1379@beaudin.UUCP> john@beaudin.UUCP (John Beaudin) writes:
> My 2 nodes are connected with a dedicated phone line - when the modem
> goes offhook, ringing occurs, no number necessary. The setup string sent
> to the modem therefore is 'atd'.
>
> Is this kind of connection supposed to be 2-way? DEC customer support
> says only outgoing is possible.

2-way support - aka "shared lines" requires that the modem or other connection
support something like DTR and CD, since the outgoing connection is only
supposed to take over an "idle" line.   In your case, you should be able to
configure you modems appropriately, but it isn't possible to do this with a
simple passive "null modem" type of direct connect.